Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn Off Shuffle Apple Music

I am trying out Apple Music to possibly switch from Spotify. I have a playlist and it shuffles music. I tried selecting the "Shuffle" toggle but it just switches to a new song. How do I turn off shuffle? I have iOS 11.0.1.

Thanks!

iPhone 8, iOS 11

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2017 9:26 AM

They screwed with the user interface and made it hard to find:

1. Open the "now playing" tab (where you can see the art, the forward/back/pause buttons, volume control).

2. Swipe to scroll up- VERY NON-INTUITIVE

3. There you will see the "shuffle" button highlighted, tap to turn it off.

Personally, the artwork should be shrunk to keep such an important button visible. And the "shuffle" button at the top is useless, you can just hit "next" if shuffle is on. I don't understand why Apple keeps changing good UX decisions to extremely poor UX decisions. Jobs would roll over in his grave.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2017 9:26 AM in response to Teachinkids

They screwed with the user interface and made it hard to find:

1. Open the "now playing" tab (where you can see the art, the forward/back/pause buttons, volume control).

2. Swipe to scroll up- VERY NON-INTUITIVE

3. There you will see the "shuffle" button highlighted, tap to turn it off.

Personally, the artwork should be shrunk to keep such an important button visible. And the "shuffle" button at the top is useless, you can just hit "next" if shuffle is on. I don't understand why Apple keeps changing good UX decisions to extremely poor UX decisions. Jobs would roll over in his grave.

Sep 27, 2017 8:29 AM in response to Teachinkids

Hello Teachinkids,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you are playing music from a playlist but when you tap Shuffle it switches to a new song. I would recommend you read this article, the songs will play in order unless shuffle is turned on.

Shuffle songs

Tap User uploaded file to turn on shuffle for the songs in a playlist or album.

When shuffle is on, you'll see User uploaded file.

Play, repeat, and shuffle music

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a nice day.

Sep 30, 2017 1:49 PM in response to Teachinkids

Hey Teachinkids,

Thanks for the update, since the Music app is not responding correctly when tapping the shuffle button. It seems like this is isolated to the Music app an not the songs themselves. One thing you can do is remove and reinstall the Music app.

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 11 device or Apple Watch

Have a good one.

Sep 27, 2017 4:28 PM in response to raina_b22

Thanks for the reply. That did not work. The link you shared shows the Shuffle button grayed out when off and colored when on. My Shuffle button will not gray out. If I long press it it will gray out but when I release it it goes back to an on state.

If I open a playlist I have never used and select Play, it skips to a random song. If the music is paused and I tap Shuffle, it starts to play a random song.

If I let a song play through it may go to the next song, but if I tap the skip to next song it plays a random song.

Turn Off Shuffle Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.