Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stupidly clicked link on phishing "Receipt for your purchase" email

I should know better, but I stupidly clicked on the "Report payment" button on a "Receipt for your purchase" email supposedly from Apple on my iPad mini. With the Equifax breach, I thought maybe someone had stolen my credit card. (Yes, I know, if I had thought for a second I would have realized that, even if it was a valid email, it would have been my Apple ID that was compromised, not my credit card.)

I then realized it was bogus & didn't click anything else & closed the browser window.

I've forwarded the email to reportphishing@apple.com, as instructed.

Any suggestions for anything else I should do at this point?

P.S. I have no idea if this is the best community to post to.

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 7:18 PM

how can I tell that the iPad hasn't been modified?

There is no practical way to know this. If you experience odd behaviour, you can always go back to default settings.

Based on what you have said, the risk seems very low, but nobody here can give you 100% certainty.

Phishing is meant to trick you out of your credentials for your account. If your device is not jailbroken, there are no known ways of compromising the device.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2017 7:18 PM in response to harolde1

how can I tell that the iPad hasn't been modified?

There is no practical way to know this. If you experience odd behaviour, you can always go back to default settings.

Based on what you have said, the risk seems very low, but nobody here can give you 100% certainty.

Phishing is meant to trick you out of your credentials for your account. If your device is not jailbroken, there are no known ways of compromising the device.

Sep 27, 2017 6:28 AM in response to ckuan

Thanks for getting back to me.

Do you mind if I ask why you suggest that? The bogus email I received reported a charge that wasn't real. I.E. there was no charge on my credit card. So, why do you think my Apple account might have been hacked?

I apologize if I wasn't clearer in my post. I'm concerned that clicking on the link could have installed some malware. If I had done this on a Windows PC, I would have run an anti-virus scan & a malware scan. I'm much less familiar with the iPad iOS & wonder if there's anything equivalent for the iPad.

Stupidly clicked link on phishing "Receipt for your purchase" email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.