Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut X (10.3.4) crashing on external display

Under MacOS High Sierra, Final Cut X (10.3.4) crashing when starting on external display. To recreate this event, you must close your MBP/MB lid with an external display attached - either hdmi or dvi. Run with the external display as the primary, then start Final Cut x (10.3.4). The app will crash immediately after starting.

I have experienced this crashing event on my new mid 2017 MBP as well as on my mid 2012 non retina macbook pro. The only work around I could find is to start final cut x with the lid open, then once the app has loaded close the lid and allow the cpu to migrate the desktop to the external display.

I hope that apple will apply a fix for this bug in the near future.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 3.1 ghz i7, Radeon Pro 4gb

Posted on Sep 26, 2017 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2017 7:25 AM

Thanks.... 🙂

I was tearing my hair out with this when Final Cut X (10.3.4) starting crashing on exit with OSX 11.0 recent update...

I'm using the workaround, but what a pain in the *** ....

Regards,

Doug

27 replies

Oct 16, 2017 6:06 PM in response to modern artist

Yep got the same problem via Elgato thunderbolt 2's mDP on late-2016 mbp Touch Bar. I contact apple support and they seem to be unaware of the issue (at least the person I spoke to). Funnily, I figured to undock the dock and open fcp on laptop screen only and it worked.

Pretty disappointed... I only discovered the workaround after I did a clean install of high sierra

Oct 16, 2017 6:18 PM in response to honourhim

"they seem to be unaware of the issue"

I submitted a bug report about this issue after High Sierra had been released. Apple replied to it and asked for additional info. That was about 3 weeks ago. So they are aware. The question is how soon they will fix it...

It annoying, but the most efficent thing to get them behind fixing something seems to be filing an official bug report. I dont think the read these postings here most of the time

Final Cut X (10.3.4) crashing on external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.