Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since update to iOS11 or High Sierra all email is starred

Hi everyone,

Beginning last tuesday after updating to iOS11, all email on my iPhone and iPad have a STAR, regardless of the sender being VIP or not. All new email has a blue star; all read email has a grey star. This is regardless of sender and even account (I have both an icloud and a gmail account).

Now, after updating to High Sierra, the situation is the same on my Mac.

The problem applies to all mailboxes, all folders, etc.

Inconsistencies:

* On my iPhone and iPad, only email received AFTER updating has a star. All email prior to last tuesday is star-less.

* On my Mac, all email has a star, regardless of how old it is.

* On icloud.com, everything looks as it should — i.e. no emails have stars, including unread email which has a blue dot, rather than a blue star.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), iOS 11

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 5:27 AM

In case someone else comes here with the same problem (which may seem unlikely, since I couldn't even find this post searching the support forums — how's this supposed to work, Apple?) here's what I found:

For no apparent reason, somewhere during the update process to iOS11 my own email address or contact card must have been invisibly marked as VIP — even though my address itself didn't show up in the VIP list, and even though if looking at my contact card I still had the choice to ADD myself to the VIP list but not to remove me.

(BTW, this option seems only to be available if opening the contact card from within the email app, not if opening it from the address book app or phone app.)

Anyway: What I did was to ADD myself to the VIP list, after which that option changed into REMOVE from VIP list, which I did. (I then restarted the phone, which may or may not be necessary.)

This fixed my problem on all devices, albeit with some variation:

On my Mac, all the grey VIP stars on all my email, both in my inbox and other folders, immediately disappeared.

On my iOS devices, VIP stars on already received email unfortunately remain — but NEW email arrives without getting marked as VIP.

So, what distracted me there was the fact that the VIP was not the sender but the addressee (me) which no doubt isn't very productive in an inbox where all email is sent to — me.

Hope this may help someone else with the same problem!

/DBLXpresso.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2017 5:27 AM in response to DBLXpresso

In case someone else comes here with the same problem (which may seem unlikely, since I couldn't even find this post searching the support forums — how's this supposed to work, Apple?) here's what I found:

For no apparent reason, somewhere during the update process to iOS11 my own email address or contact card must have been invisibly marked as VIP — even though my address itself didn't show up in the VIP list, and even though if looking at my contact card I still had the choice to ADD myself to the VIP list but not to remove me.

(BTW, this option seems only to be available if opening the contact card from within the email app, not if opening it from the address book app or phone app.)

Anyway: What I did was to ADD myself to the VIP list, after which that option changed into REMOVE from VIP list, which I did. (I then restarted the phone, which may or may not be necessary.)

This fixed my problem on all devices, albeit with some variation:

On my Mac, all the grey VIP stars on all my email, both in my inbox and other folders, immediately disappeared.

On my iOS devices, VIP stars on already received email unfortunately remain — but NEW email arrives without getting marked as VIP.

So, what distracted me there was the fact that the VIP was not the sender but the addressee (me) which no doubt isn't very productive in an inbox where all email is sent to — me.

Hope this may help someone else with the same problem!

/DBLXpresso.

Since update to iOS11 or High Sierra all email is starred

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.