Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra update error: The Recovery Server could not be contacted.

I am using a MacBook Pro Touch Bar 13" running in MacOS Sierra. Can't seem to go through with the update and I have this error message, 'The recovery server could not be contacted.'

Tried restarting but still with no luck. Internet is working fine. Anyone having the same problem? Suggestions would be highly appreciated.User uploaded file

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 2:03 PM

Guys - this fix works. Notice time needs to be set in UTC. A quick google search of "what is current utc time" will give you the time you need to enter into the terminal. I has issues installing because I was setting my computer to local time (6pm). As soon as I set to UTC (10pm) it worked the first try.

16 replies

Oct 27, 2017 5:52 AM in response to tjk

I was also getting the same error. Updating the date helped me.

Refer to this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8088693?answerId=32407109022#32407109022

date 1027180017

Get a terminal window, frome the recovery menu. The menu bar at the top, not the window dot in the middle. Then enter the date command and you should see some some old date at January 1st. My MBP has a battery problem and wasn’t plugged in for a while so the system date got reset.

To fix type

date 1016200017

which is October 16th 20:00 (or 8pm) 2017.

So mmddhhmiyy
all two digits.

High Sierra update error: The Recovery Server could not be contacted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.