Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5,1 Firmware Update issues

I'm trying to update to High Sierra on my Mac Pro 5,1 (2010, 6 core).

The updater says that a firmware upgrade is required. I've followed the instructions to install it and it appears to install but when I try to run the High Sierra installer again I get the same message about the firmware upgrade being required...

Has anyone else seen this?

I've tried removing all the PCI cards (other than the video card) and all additional drives but I still have the same problem...

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 5:21 AM

18 replies

Sep 27, 2017 6:58 AM in response to Adrian Smith2

Mac OS High Sierra want update firmware - ah, in my MacPro 5.1(mid 2010). Tell me please are there the biggest problems ? My video card is AMD Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition(Apple Cinema Display connected to the display port), and have a some small problem. The video card has a small bug. Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 boots Apple logo normal, up to half the line, then screen goes black, and then the Apple logo is show again, and progress is continue fine^ and Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 successes. If i updating firmware have i the biggest problem when updating Mac Pro 5.1(mid 2010) firmware ? If there is an error, will my Mac Pro 5.1(2010) and die Mac Pro firmware!!! Can i return to old firmware ? Thanks so much for help.Sorry my English.

Sep 30, 2017 11:45 PM in response to Adrian Smith2

However, just found out -- WARNING. If you use Boot Camp, your macOS boot drive is an SSD, you have a non-EFI video card, so use the Boot Camp app in the task bar from within Windows to boot back into OS X (since you can't use the Startup Manager on boot with a non-EFI card) -- it won't work anymore, once your SSD is (automatically) converted to APFS. The Boot Camp app in Windows will not let you select an APFS drive to boot from. I am going to try a workaround of selecting a Sierra boot volume on a different drive, and then select the Startup Drive from System Preferences there. PITA!

Nov 19, 2017 5:00 AM in response to Ebbyblock

Tried for days to install High Sierra on Mac Pro 2012. Then following comments, removed all pci cards, all usb's except wired keyboard, put in the oldest ATI card I had, took out 3 X16 Gb memory (can't get 4 x 16 to work) and put back 4 x 2 Gb memory, took out 3 hard Drives, leaving one with El Capitain. Installation finally worked like a dream. Try simplifying to the maximum.

Dec 20, 2017 12:30 AM in response to Adrian Smith2

I had the same issue and with help from Apple Support over the phone I managed to get the firmware updated as well as the update to High Sierra. I have a mid 2010 MacPro with the highest possible specs as well as an Nvidia GX780 3GB video card. Here is what I did:

1. make sure that the sound output is directed to the internal speaker and not muted, so you hear the boot chime.

2. when prompted for the firmware update, switch of the MacPro as instructed

3. switch on by pressing and holding the power button until the white led starts flashing and you hear the boot chime

This did the trick. The firmware update took about 3 minutes and I did not see a progress bar or anything, just a black screen. Also both my optical drive drawers opened and closed during the procedure. Worked like a charm.

Dec 20, 2017 7:46 AM in response to BernardJohn

BernardJohn, You win!That did it for me, too. I took out all the stuff I had installed since buying the Pro, put the old GPU back in, reduced the memory to bare-bones, yanked all the USB cables and PCI boards but the KB (and the monitors), plugged the Mac back in, started up, went through the lights and tones, and when the apple and progress bar came up, the firmware was installed in about 2 minutes. From the blinking light to the new system startup screen took about 1.5 hours. Thank you for your observations and suggestions.

Mac Pro 5,1 Firmware Update issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.