Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank Message Notification in lock screen

Hello,

Since I did the update for IOS11 in my iphone 6s, whenever I received a message on my lock screen, I press to open the message, however a blank message screen goes to the top of the screen and every time I lock my phone, the blank message stays on top, not until I do a reboot it goes away, is very annoying having to either disable the lock screen notification or rebooting the phone. Any suggestions?

Thank you

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 11.0.1, message

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 8:57 AM

34 replies

Sep 28, 2017 6:18 AM in response to Chinoob

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Chinoob.
If I understand your post correctly, a blank message screen comes up whenever you try to view a message from the Lock screen on your iPhone and the blank message stays on top until you restart the iPhone. That's certainly not normal and would make it very time consuming to respond to messages. I'm happy to help.
I'd recommend making sure you have a current backup. That will protect your data as we troubleshoot. Here's how to create a backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
After the backup is created, do a restore to factory settings using iTunes. This process will download and install a fresh copy of the operating system onto the device for you. The following article has the steps to do that: Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to factory settings
Once that's done, I'd recommend setting the iPhone up as new, and testing it out to make sure the issue is resolved before restoring from a backup. Check out this article for those steps: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup
Let us know if that resolves this issue for you.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Oct 17, 2017 12:26 AM in response to raina_b22

Same thing is happening to me. Sometimes the notification screen won’t even be on the locked screen but I still can’t see the time(while locked) as it is blurry. The empty notification screen showed up a few days later again though. Getting really tired of this kind of thing happening after updating. My iPhone is up to date. We have 2 Macs, 3 iPads and 3 iPhones in the house as well as paying for Apple Music and iCloud. We are frustrated with paying for premium products and getting no fix for a issue persisting over a month now.

Oct 18, 2017 12:46 PM in response to Chinoob

I have been having this problem since I purchased an iphone8 and upgrade to ios11. I've done all the current updates, have reset the phone, have done a factory reset with new setup and it persists. It needs to get fixed asap- I paid a ridiculous amount of money for a new phone and the software doesn't work properly. Please elevate this to the engineers and get it addressed ASAP.

Oct 19, 2017 7:01 AM in response to raina_b22

Becky, I’m having a similar issue too. Any time my phone is locked NOTHING shows up on the lock screen but the wallpaper, not my clock, not any alert or notification, and no alarms. Although If an alarm goes off I can touch the screen where the snooze or stop button would normally be and it will snooze or stop but the button isn’t actually there. For notifications my phone bibrates but nothing shows up on the screen, not even a pop up. It’s very very odd.

Oct 21, 2017 5:33 PM in response to raina_b22

I'm having the same problem after updates!!! I can't see my screen (because of the big white message box) to even check the time unless I unlock it! PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!!!! We all pay too much to have to deal with these bugs. Apple needs to slow down on phones and "updates" and make sure they are reliable and will work properly. Beyond frustrated!!!!

Oct 23, 2017 8:45 PM in response to Chinoob

Restarting the phone or reinstalling the software is only a temporary fix, as this issue keeps happening on 2 of our 5 iPhone 7's every day or so. On both of these 2 phones, the "Show Previews" option is set to "Never" in the Messages Notifications settings. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that the empty box seems to appear and bug out after a "3D Touch" (pressure is applied) on the display. This definitely seems like a software bug that needs to be addressed, and it would be nice for an Apple representative to simply respond to let the users know this is a known bug they are working on fixing. Even if it's a hardware component sending the wrong response during a 3D Touch event, the software should still be able to check and clear the empty box if it's found to be on the lock screen. Hope they get to this in the next update.

Oct 23, 2017 9:18 PM in response to diamondeyes68

My wife's phone was having this issue. What fixed it for her was turning 3D Touch off then on. I turned off 3D Touch, restarted the phone and then turned it (3D Touch) back on again (Actually, 3D Touch was on again by default!). I tested out a couple of texts and they were showing up correctly! Hopefully that resolves the issue for others. I can't remember where I read this solution but it's definitely something I wouldn't have thought of.

Blank Message Notification in lock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.