Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no audio after installing High Sierra

After upgrading to High Sierra no audio available. In system configuration Audio is empty; no sound card etc.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13), iMac 27"

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 1:06 AM

User posted this solution:

Issue Solved!

I have uninstalled Airfoil and Airfoil Satellite and removed audio plug-in "instantOn.driver" that was causing the issue!

Removed it from:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/

InstantOn.driver

and

/Library/LaunchDaemons/

com.rogueamoeba.instanton-agent.plist

Detailed solution is on this link:

High Sierra 10.13 no sound slow browsing | Apple Developer Forums

Re: macOS High Sierra no audioRe: macOS High Sierra no audioRe: macOS High Sierra no audio

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2017 1:06 AM in response to Wimkar

User posted this solution:

Issue Solved!

I have uninstalled Airfoil and Airfoil Satellite and removed audio plug-in "instantOn.driver" that was causing the issue!

Removed it from:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/

InstantOn.driver

and

/Library/LaunchDaemons/

com.rogueamoeba.instanton-agent.plist

Detailed solution is on this link:

High Sierra 10.13 no sound slow browsing | Apple Developer Forums

Re: macOS High Sierra no audioRe: macOS High Sierra no audioRe: macOS High Sierra no audio

Oct 1, 2017 11:25 PM in response to Wimkar

For those that shows Internal Speakers under Audio Output, I many have a solution for you. In my case, the mute button was permanently grayed out in System Preferences. No audio would come out of my speakers or headphones.

NVRAM and SMC resets did nothing. Reinstalling Mac OS through Recovery Mode or the App Store did not fix the issue either. Interestingly, if I double clicked on the system sound effects found under Sound in System Preferences, they would play through both the speakers and headphones.

My solution was to go to Midi Audio Setup, select "Built In Output" from the sidebar. Then click on the gear icon towards the bottom of the window and select "Use this device for Sound Output." It should then work!

Jan 1, 2018 5:44 AM in response to blindnotes.

This finally worked on mine.! Thank you. I had not wanted to update, but the computer somehow did it automatically and of course the internal speaker went away. I tried all of the other items, but they did not work and restarted many times. Finally I did the steps on this link and shut down and then restarted. A smile came on me when the chime of the restart was heard!

Jan 10, 2018 8:42 PM in response to Wimkar

I'm using a 2017 13" MacBookPro with touchbar, running the latest HighSierra. I can't get any internet video to play in Safari--FB, Messenger, YouTube, whatever. iTunes Library plays just fine. Looked for every possible setting I can find--the proper output device is selected (tried speakers & headphones), volume all the way up, nothing "muted," the Sounds "Enabled" checkbox in FB and FB Messenger is checked. Toggled Bluetooth on & off. Please don't give me some command-line gibberish to type--I don't have any of the programs that the other questioners seem to have, so no extensions or plug-ins to enable or disable. If I wanted to play with command lines I'd still be running MS-DOS on a PC.

Going to try Firefox but not hopeful. I'm never installing OS updates again until they're bug-free.

Jan 26, 2018 1:08 PM in response to Wimkar

After upgrading to High Sierra on my Mac Pro Sound defaults to Digital Out and will not stay on Line out. Apple tech support tried restarting computer with numerous holding down keys to no avail. I was referred to a retail tech support shop who suggested I unplug anything attached to the computer not related to the key board and monitor as a process of elimination. I tried this and this did not solve the problem. I even tried spraying compressed air into the optical output port as I read dust could be causing the problem. That did not work. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

no audio after installing High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.