Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 Plus Cases blocking mic on speaker

Hi, all! I got my iPhone 8 Plus and really like it. I went to a T-Mobile store, and they sold me a Lifeproof Fre for the iPhone 7 Plus, telling me that the case would work. It fit the phone fine, but when I tried to make calls on speaker phone, the other person would tell me that they could barely hear me. When I took the phone off of speaker in the case, they could hear me just fine. When I took the phone out of the case, it worked much better on speaker.

I took that case back and replaced it with an Otterbox Pursuit. I made a call on speaker phone, and the other person said that my sound was muffled. When I took it off speaker, it was fine. I did not take it out of the case to test on speaker.

However, I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with cases and their iPhone 8 Plus. Also, might there be cases that do not have these issues? I would still like to get a case for my iPhone, but I have never encountered this problem before. Does anyone have any advice or any suggestions for a different cases that might work? The Pursuit seemed to still function, but not at the quality one would expect for the price. Also, I really like the case, so I would rather not switch it if I didn’t have to do so.

I have not contact Otterbox to ask about this, so I may do that too.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 10:12 PM

I had the same problem. I fixed it, but it will ruin the warranty for your case. I removed the dust/water protective film that's on the left side of the case. This is where your microphone is located on your device. I left the film on the speaker side intact because it supports the phone in the case. Doing this allows the microphone to hear your voice without anything blocking it. I think this is the best solution because the iPhone 8 plus is already dust proof and water resistant, so removing the film will cause no harm to your device. Otterbox shouldn't of put this film over the microphone hole in the first place because it is completely unnecessary.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2017 10:12 PM in response to puzzleduser

I had the same problem. I fixed it, but it will ruin the warranty for your case. I removed the dust/water protective film that's on the left side of the case. This is where your microphone is located on your device. I left the film on the speaker side intact because it supports the phone in the case. Doing this allows the microphone to hear your voice without anything blocking it. I think this is the best solution because the iPhone 8 plus is already dust proof and water resistant, so removing the film will cause no harm to your device. Otterbox shouldn't of put this film over the microphone hole in the first place because it is completely unnecessary.

iPhone 8 Plus Cases blocking mic on speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.