Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail notifications

Since upgrading to High Sierra yesterday, I am no longer getting notification banners when new mail arrives. I am getting the "new mail" sound. Somewhat ironically, under Sierra, the opposite was often true. I have checked Notifications in System Preferences and they are turned on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 1:00 PM

Hi jtonn,

I understand that since upgrading to macOS High Sierra you're no longer seeing banner notifications for Mail. I know it's important to have your Notifications come through as you have them set up and I'd like to help. You mention that you've checked System Preferences > Notifications to ensure that the correct preferences are selected, I appreciate that information. I'd recommend returning to your Notifications preferences, changing the style of the notification to "Alert" or "None", then changing it back to "Banner" and testing for the behavior.

If you're still not seeing the proper notifications, try starting in safe mode using these steps: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Send a test email to see if you receive the proper notification, then restart your Mac normally and test again.

Let me know what you find.

Warmest Regards.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2017 1:00 PM in response to jtonn

Hi jtonn,

I understand that since upgrading to macOS High Sierra you're no longer seeing banner notifications for Mail. I know it's important to have your Notifications come through as you have them set up and I'd like to help. You mention that you've checked System Preferences > Notifications to ensure that the correct preferences are selected, I appreciate that information. I'd recommend returning to your Notifications preferences, changing the style of the notification to "Alert" or "None", then changing it back to "Banner" and testing for the behavior.

If you're still not seeing the proper notifications, try starting in safe mode using these steps: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Send a test email to see if you receive the proper notification, then restart your Mac normally and test again.

Let me know what you find.

Warmest Regards.

Mail notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.