Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover Time Machine backups from APFS disk?

I'm a fool - I converted my (external HFS+) Time Machine disk to APFS using the High Sierra (10.13) Disk Utility. Clearly, Time Machine cannot now read the files, because (I suppose) APFS does not support hard links to folders and has converted these all to symbolic links.

I tried navigating to various backups to see whether any files might appear. A few did inside folders that were directly accessible. (I could not identify a pattern for which folders were available this way, although had expected it to relate to cases where new items were added to the archive - seems not.) But, most folders were referenced in Finder by unusable alias / symbolic links.

I realise that Time Machine cannot do anything. Still, is there any way to navigate through the folders - manually or with a utility - and recover files from this hard drive? I'd appreciate any ideas. (It's not the end of the world as my current files are in iCloud and/or AWS Glacier but it would be good to know whether there is anything that can be done about the Time Machine archives, which go back some years.) Thanks so much.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 5:31 PM

13 replies

Oct 1, 2017 5:10 PM in response to mdb288

Thanks, mdb288. I could not quite tell at which stage you had the password entry problem, but I was unable to enter my boot password for the newly formatted High Sierra drive (see Clean install High Sierra - APFS encrypted boot password keyboard problem; may not be related, though).

Re backups, I am confident that –

• My portable hard drive will die before Amazon AWS catastrophically loses three global data centres
  • I'll misplace this drive before everyone at Apple forgets where the keys to its data centres are
  • Amazon AWS / Apple are unlikely to reformat their entire infrastructure when tired at 3am

Finally, whilst this is a moving target I also believe that both companies will – through technology and policy – make reasonable efforts to safeguard privacy to a degree that is more robust than many other organisations that hold personal data.,

Sep 27, 2017 5:52 PM in response to BordeauxQuill

You cannot restore from a Time Machine backup except using the Time Machine application. If you are are using Time Machine application in High Sierra, then it should be able to read an APFS disk. See if any of these links help:

How to choose between APFS and Mac OS Extended when formatting a disk for Mac

Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Update- macOS High Sierra and APFS Compatibility

Preparing for APFS in macOS High Sierra

Sep 29, 2017 8:46 PM in response to BordeauxQuill

If anyone out there has other ideas, though, it will be good to know.

There is nothing else to add, other than Apple's documentation: Types of disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support. Nothing else will work.

Restoring (files, folders, or complete systems) can only be accomplished by using Time Machine the way Apple describes in their documentation.

Why did Apple allow the Finder to view the contents of a Time Machine backup volume? Good question. The ability to do that has certainly resulted in a lot of misery. I suppose the answer is that there is no good way of hiding those files. Should they have been given hidden file attributes, like many other system files? Perhaps, but as it is, people get confused enough with "purgable storage" and the way the Finder calculates it vs. "About This Mac". What would people think if they opened their Time Machine backup volume, only to find it devoid of a single visible file?

It's best to think of Time Machine as "no user serviceable parts inside". It's a bodyguard for the information on your Mac. Stay out of its way, let it do its job, and don't ask questions.

It's also a good idea to have more than one bodyguard.

Oct 1, 2017 3:05 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy, for the additional insight - I appreciate your keeping on top of this question. It's also true that Time Machine will reformat a drive if is configured with APFS; further evidence.

It is possible to copy a (non-corrupted) Time Machine backup using Finder (see, for example, Time Machine: How to transfer backups from a current backup drive to a new backup drive - Apple Support), which may explain how previously I – and it seems many others – had experienced no problems copying files and folders from Time Machine's (HFS+) backups.

Still, as noted above, I gave up trying to recover the Time Machine archive from the volume I foolishly converted to APFS and have since reformatted. (The 1TB encryption process finished after about 21 hours.) It will be interesting to see whether someone with deeper low-level technical knowledge finds a way to recover from this problem - I'm sure that Jocelyn and I shan't be the only people to fry their Time Machine backups by converting the volume to APFS.

Oct 1, 2017 12:29 PM in response to Jocelyn Lavin

You're more awake than I, Jocelyn - I'd already read how Time Machine required links that were incompatible with APFS but still enthusiastically responded to a piece encouraging 'convert all external drives to AFPS too'!

I looked through pretty much everything Google served up, including the Developer forums, for a solution, but found none. Lots of journalists and 'tech gurus' trotting out the official advice that my I knew already (usually in badly written, less clear versions splattered with garish ads) but nothing to help with this outlier / corner case. I suppose it will take time before robust knowledge to deal with exceptions emerges into the public domain - meanwhile, lots of motherhood and apple-pie.

The reformat was not so simple. I used Disk Utility to delete the APFS container after an initial erase left only APFS format options. The drive would not then remount, even with several reboots. It did not show at all in the Disk Utility interface but I could see it in Terminal with the following command (so knew it was not toast):

diskutil apfs list

The disk eventually did appear as I navigated around Disk Utility (I possibly hit Mount but as the drive wasn't available to be selected in the interface I'm not sure how that helped so forgive me for being vague) and I reformatted using Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The drive then offered itself for Time Machine.

The backup did not take long but it is still encrypting (1TB drive, 20 hours later). When running Time Machine afresh on a new Mac, and adding to other backups on the same drive, the encryption was taken care of as the backup completed. I guess this time the disk required further preparation after its ill-fated foray into APFS (which makes sense) and I suspect, although cannot quite recall, that when I did my very first Time Machine backup on that drive some years ago it also took a long time.

Re 'backup backup drive', etc. and, as John said, having more than one bodyguard —

• my Documents folder is replicated real-time to iCloud, which recently and without a glitch restored all saved data to two new machines – good if someone steals my laptop;
  • my entire Home folder is backed up incrementally every hour to Amazon AWS S3 Glacier using Arq – helpful if I delete / damage stuff inadvertently myself or want to find older documents;
  • and now I again have a working Time Machine backup – for emergency whole-system restores, but I doubt I shall need to rely on this much in the future.

Sep 27, 2017 6:12 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy, for this reply and your many other helpful submissions on the forums. I had read through those links.

On restore without Time Machine, I have always been able to go into backups.backupdb, navigate to the file I want and copy / paste it to a new location. This was the easiest way of retrieving files from a (hidden) Library archive.

My problem is not backing up an APFS volume with Time Machine. Rather, I am trying to recover the Time Machine archive files from an external disk that I foolishly converted from HFS+ to APFS. From what I can see it is impossible but I wondered whether there might be a utility or some other way of getting to the files that now seem to be hidden by aliases (which under HFS+ before the erroneous conversion were the hard directory links that Time Machine could read).

Sep 27, 2017 6:28 PM in response to BordeauxQuill

Understand that the way Time Machine works all "real" files are stored in a special type of disk image file that is created when you start using Time Machine. Changes to these files are stored as hard links. Hard links look like real files but are truly aliases. But they do not stand-alone once the Time Machine backup is no longer connected. Extracting them from the backup manually is a major mistake although it may appear perfectly OK. If you want the real files you need to mount that disk image file on your Desktop and locate what you want in order to get a copy of it.

Like so many others I don't know a whole lot about APFS - still learning. Not really sure where to point you at this juncture. Personally, I would simply reformat the Time Machine drive using HFS+ then do a new Time Machine backup to it.

Sep 29, 2017 4:22 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy. In the past I have browsed through backups.backupdb from the 'Latest' alias and copy individual files without a problem (they have been accessible and uncorrupted) so was hoping that with APFS I might have been able to do this, perhaps with a utility that 'saw beyond' through the symbolic links.

You may be right. I suspect there is no way of accessing a Time Machine archive on a (recently converted) APFS disk and that it will be necessary to reformat the drive, thus losing the data. If anyone out there has other ideas, though, it will be good to know. Thanks all.

Sep 30, 2017 9:52 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks, John. Whilst I've never had any problems using Finder to copy documents from backups.backupdb and have not read anything online where people said they had specific issues with this, your points are well taken - clearly, where possible it makes sense to follow standard practice.

With my question here I'm trying to look beyond the 'standard' way of doing things - necessarily, because I know that won't work - and ask whether anyone has experience of accessing files behind the symbolic links (that Time Machine hard directory links got converted to) on a drive that's formatted with APFS. I'f be grateful for any ideas anyone has.

Oct 1, 2017 11:22 AM in response to BordeauxQuill

I did the same thing - I read a thing saying "remember to convert your external drives to APFS too", so I dutifully did - it didn't even occur to me to check whether Time Machine would still work! Luckily it was only my BACKUP backup drive (the extra one I have due to paranoia) - I realised the problem before converting my main backup drive.

I tried to change it back, so that at least I could still use it for Time Machine backups, but there doesn't seem to be an option to do that... so I'm currently copying stuff across manually. It's taking ages, but at least I know I still have two backups.

Oct 1, 2017 3:46 PM in response to BordeauxQuill

you problem is interesting (sorry to admit that...)

I am not such an expert on mac os...

I have 2 time capsules that go back and forth backing up my families devices...

I have never had to do a restore...in ?5 years...except today after doing a high sierra upgrade (i posted)...but it worked and now everything is working...

but more to the point:

i whole heartedly agree with your last sentence:

all this time capsule and time machine back ups are rapidly becoming a thing of the past...all important stuff can be kept in the cloud (iCloud, google etc)...i can get paranoid that apple or google will lose the stuff but in reality...they do can a much better job than nearly all home users (if equifax can get hacked...we all don't stand much of a change realistically...but that is another story)...

Oct 1, 2017 7:17 PM in response to BordeauxQuill

FWIW, I never have liked or used Time Machine. It seems to complicate doing backups compared to other backup tools. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make normal file by file backups that look and behave like cloned drives. One can boot from them, copy files to and from other drives, and easily restore files, folders, or an entire drive. I keep several backups in case one is damaged. My MacBook is used when traveling so I carry three or four backups on external PCIe flash storage to assure having good backups. My home desktop machine makes multiple scheduled backups. For me Time Machine is just something to learn in case I need to help someone like you. 😀

Recover Time Machine backups from APFS disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.