Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

could not load sound preference pane high sierra

After installing High Sierra, I had my first experience ever of an upgrade not working correctly. I have already been in touch with top level support about spinning beachballs in Safari, but things are actually worse. The issue I'm most interested in right now is that the sound preference pane won't load. I've tried deleting the system preferences plist with no change. Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 27, 2017 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 6:09 PM

Possible decision is to delete /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/InstantOn.driver/Contents/MacOS/InstantOn if it exists.

9 replies

Sep 28, 2017 7:21 PM in response to Poheto

I found this elsewhere also, but thanks Poheto. The problem is that if you use Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil software, it needs to be updated, and especially the Instant On plug-in needs to be updated, but it can't be updated until the old InstantOn.driver is deleted as you say. I've passed this info on to the top-level Apple advisor I was in touch with about the Safari spinning beachballs, which went away along with the sound problem. Now High Sierra feels really wonderful!

could not load sound preference pane high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.