Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Conversation view in Mail broken in High Sierra

After installing High Sierra, the conversation view in Mail on my Mac mini is messed up. All I can see are black frames. When I open invidual mails, all's well. This didn't happen on my Macbook Air. Suggestions? Thanks.User uploaded file

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 7:28 AM

Thanks. This helped. The precise path is as follows:

1. System Preferences
  2. Displays
  3. Switch to the Color Tab
  4. Press Calibrate... button
  5. Go through the calibration dialgue (I just accepted all defaults)

Tip: Have one of the disappointing black mails open in the background while doing the calibration. As the calibration finishes, the mail message becomes visible again.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2017 7:28 AM in response to TheOSX81

Thanks. This helped. The precise path is as follows:

1. System Preferences
  2. Displays
  3. Switch to the Color Tab
  4. Press Calibrate... button
  5. Go through the calibration dialgue (I just accepted all defaults)

Tip: Have one of the disappointing black mails open in the background while doing the calibration. As the calibration finishes, the mail message becomes visible again.

Feb 20, 2018 12:02 PM in response to matangra

matangra wrote:

Would be a problem with the Mac Mini's Intel HD Graphics 3000 drive or High Sierra's?

I think you've correctly identified where the problem lies. Its effects are not limited to Mail.app conversation views (though that's where it's most commonly noticed). Messing with display calibration profiles can be a workaround for some people, but the problem hasn't been properly solved yet. Here's a cross-reference to another discussion in which this issue is being discussed more specifically:

Apple Discussions: Intel HD Graphics 3000 support on High Sierra is broken

Oct 3, 2017 12:55 PM in response to Bluefinger

I was having this exact same issue with my work computer; a mid-2011 Mac Mini that was upgraded to High Sierra v. 10.13 around October 1st 2017.
I resorted to calling Apple Support, who tried everything they could to fix it, but instead they found the fix on this forum!
So, I can confirm that the colour calibration sequence indeed fixed the black screen issue I, too, was encountering.

Jan 11, 2018 9:15 PM in response to jengel199

I have the same problem, with my MacMini Server, 2 GHz Intel i7, 8 GB with Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB running 10.13.2 and using a Color MunkiDisplay made by X-Rite. If I change the Display Profile from the one it just calibrated to an old uncalibrated one the conversation messages show up, then I go back to the right profile and it turns black again. Would be a problem with the Mac Mini's Intel HD Graphics 3000 drive or High Sierra's?

Conversation view in Mail broken in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.