Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music very quiet over bluetooth audio since updating to iOS 11

The volume is very quiet when connected to my car via bluetooth. It also seems much quieter in general, I even have the volume on maximum on my car stereo and its still not very loud. Was fine on iOS10.

EU Volume is off in settings and I have depaired and repaired the phone to the car stereo.

Seems Apple have further restricted volume limit, sick of this limitation as now music is very quiet.

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 12:43 PM

Same problem here. iPhone 6S running on iOS 11.0.3. I noticed that as soon as I receive a notification (and the phone is not set on mute), the volume of the music played on the bluetooth device is increasing on its original maximum volume (like it was on iOS 10, before I had this problem). So is a software problem, definitely an iOS11 issue.

Can you confirm this?

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2017 12:43 PM in response to richardc1983

Same problem here. iPhone 6S running on iOS 11.0.3. I noticed that as soon as I receive a notification (and the phone is not set on mute), the volume of the music played on the bluetooth device is increasing on its original maximum volume (like it was on iOS 10, before I had this problem). So is a software problem, definitely an iOS11 issue.

Can you confirm this?

Sep 28, 2017 6:40 AM in response to ProustGiulio

I will try this when I get in the car next. What is your explanation around this as my idea of this option is so that the ringer and alerts volume is not altered when using the up down volume buttons. I can tell you now that when I am playing music the music volume is increased and lowered using these buttons but even with it on 100% its very quiet.

Oct 22, 2017 2:08 AM in response to amID0n

It isn’t rocket science! As to your reply of “I’m not helping” I have already answered the post by explaining how Bluetooth volume works when you are connected by Bluetooth to your car only a few posts above yours!

Just because you don’t like the way it works does not make it a software issue! I DO agree though (as I have previously stated) it’s a STUPID setup!

Oct 22, 2017 3:06 AM in response to TitaniumFocus

I didn’t ask how it works. I understand how it works, that’s not the problem.

I am repeating myself, I don’t know if this is gonna help me in some way, but at least I hope you’ll understand our problem (mine and richard’s):

As I already stated in my previous reply, the problem appears when I try to play my music on my iPhone 6s (iOS 11.0.3) by any bluetooth device or even through AUX cable (as I newly found yesterday). With the volume maxed out, it is still quieter than it used to be (before I updated to iOS 11). As soon as I receive a notification on my unmuted iPhone, the music volume on the connected device is getting higher instantly like I was used before. And (as I experienced until now) it stays the same until I change the app that plays the music or I receive a phone call. That’s why I know there is an issue and it wasn’t supposed to work like this.

All this is not about how to change the volume on the device, it’s about how loud can it get.

Oct 22, 2017 3:09 AM in response to TitaniumFocus

Hi TitaniumFocus

Strange actually as I am assuming you mean the Ford car in your username. I also have the same.

Yes using the volume buttons in the side I know I have to use to increase Bluetooth volume has been that way for since I can remember it’s the same on IOS11 is it not?

Anyway the problem seems fixed now since various updates and app updates.

Oct 30, 2017 12:04 PM in response to TitaniumFocus

Im sorry, but this is BS. The volume buttons on my Bose BT headphones directly correlate, and turn up the volume on my iPhone7 just as if I was using the buttons on the phone. They are not mutually exclusive. With IOS 11.0.2 and 11.0.3, BT sound is definitely diminished. I can listen to music at full volume which I could never do before. Its as if Apple has decided "Volume Limit" is always enabled at half volume.

Nov 18, 2017 1:28 PM in response to richardc1983

I also had this problem. Music was very quiet on bluetooth speakers - almost inaudible unless the phone volume was set at maximum.

I fixed it by simply re-pairing the bluetooth device - go into the bluetooth settings, tap the "i" to the right of the offending bluetooth device, then tap "forget this device." Re-pair the device to the phone and everything should be audible again.

I guess iOS saves some data about each bluetooth device when it's paired, and iOS 11 has a problem interpreting the data stored by iOS 10.

Nov 29, 2017 11:49 AM in response to CECutting

I've got the same issue with my mosconi car system after updating to IOS11. Not always, but very often the volume is so very low that I've to turn the volume of my mosconi system to its maximum. When that happens I set the timer for 1 second, and after the alarm......hocus pocus...... the volume is like it was before the update. I don't understand why. Very annoying!!

I'll try the re-pairing option tomorrow.

Music very quiet over bluetooth audio since updating to iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.