Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to delete broken login items

I have a lot of unknown login items with a yellow exclamation mark. Name "Unknown", type "Unknown". Minus button to remove them doesn't work (UI is broken while unknown items on list). Minus while admin doesn't work either. Removing com.apple.loginitems.plist either from my library or a global library doesn't help. What I can do to remove them?

I suppose they were generated by Spotify, which doesn't work for High Sierra, at least for me.

Any terminal commands are welcome. I spend most of my time in terminal anyway.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 7:25 AM

11 replies

Oct 10, 2017 1:15 AM in response to indywidualny

Same here. Spotify and Slack don't work for me, and I assume it's because of this (or I guess Spotify just doesn't work and results in these unknown items?). Look how bad this is. The "-" doesn't even work, and the checkbox doesn't even check on the item I am clicking. It checks some other "unknown item".

The funny thing is I just moved from Windows. Finally invested on a MacBook 2016, annnnd yep. Pass me some directories and/or terminal commands. Anything. I don't even have Time Machine set up. I just got this and I've only heard of that after this issue.

User uploaded file

Oct 10, 2017 1:30 AM in response to Salman.Quraishi

Another thing is, a friend of mine updated his late 2013 MacBook Pro, and High Seirra and both Spotify and Slack works. He doesn't have the issue aforementioned. I too had Spotify working for a while post-High Seirra update. And then it just decided to stop working. Slack's crash reports mentioned something about login items, which is how I got pointed here.

Oct 11, 2017 8:22 AM in response to indywidualny

This is almost certainly a bug in High Sierra that is also causing applications to crash on launch. It appears to happen in the part of the applications' code that deals with the "Start at Login" setting. The system LSSharedFileListItemResolve call returns a null URL even though it also returns a status code indicating success. The applications' code appears to assume it would be non-null and passes it as the first parameter CFEqual, which leads to a crash. This appears to have worked reliably from 10.6-10.12 but something has definitely changed in 10.13 which may be affecting System Preferences as well.

Unable to delete broken login items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.