Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 A1289 mac pro red light

Any ideas on the cause of this red light? I had evacuated my mac out of Irma's eye and when I set it back up in my office, I was greeted with this. I know there's posts about warning lights but couldn't find one in regards to this location.

Thanks

User uploaded file

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 9:07 AM

Those Red LEDs next to each memory module light up at Startup.

During the Power-On Self Test, the LEDs on GOOD modules are turned OFF, leaving the LEDS next to BAD modules still lit.

If your Mac will start up, use:

 menu > About this Mac > (system Report) > memory...

... to examine this STATIC report:

User uploaded file

module slots showing as "Empty" (when you know they are not) have failed the test, and Mac OS will not try to use them until the next Restart, when they will be tested again (and may be brought into service despite the fact they are Bad).

Mac Pro with Xeon processor uses Error Correcting Code RAM:

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Code RAM Memory

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2017 9:07 AM in response to Resortphoto

Those Red LEDs next to each memory module light up at Startup.

During the Power-On Self Test, the LEDs on GOOD modules are turned OFF, leaving the LEDS next to BAD modules still lit.

If your Mac will start up, use:

 menu > About this Mac > (system Report) > memory...

... to examine this STATIC report:

User uploaded file

module slots showing as "Empty" (when you know they are not) have failed the test, and Mac OS will not try to use them until the next Restart, when they will be tested again (and may be brought into service despite the fact they are Bad).

Mac Pro with Xeon processor uses Error Correcting Code RAM:

User Tip: Mac Pro and Error Correcting Code RAM Memory

2012 A1289 mac pro red light

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.