Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express not extending network

I have an AirPort Extreme connected to my internet router in my living room. If am in the same room, using a 5Ghz channel and about 20 ft away, I get a download speed of about 75 Mbps. I set up an airport express in the next room to extend the network. It is about 40-50 feet from the AirPort Extreme. I am getting a download speed of 5-9 Mbps. It is causing my smart TV to have service interruption so I am trying to trouble shoot it. I did a Speedtest with and without the airport express and found that I have the same download speed in that room whether or not it the express is connected. Any ideas why the express is not boosting the signal?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 9:10 AM

7 replies

Sep 28, 2017 9:23 AM in response to bulaah

I assume that the Express is connecting to the AirPort Extreme using a wireless connection, correct? Unfortunately, there will always be a significant loss of signal speed when you try to extend a network using a wireless connection.

The Express does not and cannot "boost" the signal speed, but it can provide a stronger wireless signal in the area where it is located if it is configured correctly. Another way to say the same thing would be to state that the Express can only "extend" or "repeat" the signal speed that it receives. It cannot make the signal that it receives go faster.

Chances are, the wireless signal speed has already slowed down quite a bit by the time that it reaches the AirPort Express. So, the Express is not going to provide any help as far as signal speed is concerned, but it can make the signal stronger.

Since there is no loss in signal speed when you use an Ethernet cable to connect AirPorts to extend a network, the best solution in terms of performance would be to wire the Express back to the Extreme using an Ethernet cable. Is that a possibility?

If not, we'll try to do a bit more troubleshooting on the wireless connection setup. Are both of the AirPorts current models, or are they older models?

Sep 28, 2017 10:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your reply Bob. Yes, the express is using a wireless connection. I think the airports are 2-3 years old. I'm not sure how to tell what year they are. I can't wire the express to the extreme, as I would have a cable running the entire length of my living room.

I understand what you are saying about signal loss. The room is some distance away from the wired connection, so that makes sense. I thought the express would extend the signal speed that the Extreme is providing. If it is just boosting a slow speed, what does that actually do for me and how can I tell that it's making any difference?

The main problem is when I try to play Netflix on the TV near the express, many times it won't play because it says the connection is bad.

My house is not very large, so I am wondering what most people with larger homes do in this situation. Do people have more than one wired connection?

Sep 28, 2017 11:38 AM in response to bulaah

I thought the express would extend the signal speed that the Extreme is providing.

It probably is. The problem is that the signal speed has slowed tremendously before it ever reaches the Express. As I said before, the Express.....or any other wireless extender or repeater.....can only extend the signal speed that it receives. It cannot make the signal go faster despite what the fancy advertising might imply.

If it is just boosting a slow speed, what does that actually do for me

At the present time, it is not really doing anything for you. I'm assuming that the Express is set up correctly.....and we can check that again if you want. The trick to getting decent performance with an extender is that it must be located where it can receive a faster signal from the Extreme.

Say the TV is 60 feet for example, from your main router, the AirPort Extreme. The Express needs to be close to the AirPort Extreme.....so it will pick up a much faster signal......AND.....yet the Express needs to be close to the TV, so the TV will pick up a faster signal. But you know that the Express cannot be in two places at the same time.

So, the best location for the Express in the simple example above would be to position it half way between the AirPort Extreme and the TV. Actually, it's a best compromise, since everything in wireless is always a compromise compared to a wired connection.

For good performance the Express needs to have a line-of-sight relationship with the AirPort Extreme and the TV. The reason for this is that any obstruction.......a wall, ceiling, heavy furniture, a large mirror, etc...... in the direct signal path between devices will really slow the signal down.

Walls. One of the big problems that wireless has with a lot of walls is that folks forget about the insulation inside the wall. A lot of insulation material has a metal foil layer on one or both sides of the insulation material. As you know, not much of a wireless signal is going to make it through metal.

So, you might only have one wall for the signal to pass through, or the distance may not be much, but the signal will still slow down tremendously.

That's why the only way to really get good performance when you need more wireless coverage is to connect two or more AirPorts together with a wired Ethernet cable connection and locate the AirPorts right in the area where they are needed.....so devices will have line of sight with the AirPorts as much as possible.

Sep 28, 2017 8:14 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you again for your thorough answer. I had thought of what you said about the halfway position and I tested that as well. The express was about 40ft away from the extreme in the line of site, but the television is still in the next room behind a wall, maybe another 10 ft away. It made no difference as far as I could tell, but I was using speed test to measure. Is there some other way to tell which solution is working better?

Do you know anything about power line adaptors? I read about them and wonder if that might be a better solution.

Sep 28, 2017 8:49 PM in response to bulaah

You may have a defective AirPort Express. Temporarily, power off the AirPort Express.

Move your Mac (do not use an iPhone or iPad to test WiFi speeds) close to the AirPort Extreme and run a few speed checks on the Internet connection using a site like www.speedtest.net Jot down the average speed

Hold down the option key on your Mac while you click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen and look for the BSSID. Jot down the last few characters of the BSSID, which the device ID of the AirPort Extreme.

Power up the AirPort Express for a minute or two, then move your Mac close to the TV and run a few speed checks that way and note your average results.

Then, hold down the option key again on your Mac while you click on the WiFi menu at the top of the screen and jot down the last few characters of the BSSID.

If the Mac, which is near the TV, is picking up the signal from the Express, you will see a different BSSID than you saw on the AirPort Extreme. If you see the same BSSID as the AirPort Extreme when the Mac is close to the TV, then you know that the AirPort Express is not extending the network at all.....since the Mac is picking up the signal from the AirPort Extreme, not the AirPort Express.

Please report on your speed test results and the BSSID test.

As far a powerline adapters are concerned, I have tried a number of them and have yet to find a brand or model that I would recommend.

The speed claims for powerline adapters are theoretical. They always assume that both adapters are on the same electrical circuit and not far from each other as well. In practice, the adapters lose an unpredictable amount of speed when they are not on the same electrical circuit. I can give you the technical reasons for this as well, if you are interested.

That being said, some users report that powerline works OK in their home. But, if you want to try powerline, you won't know how well......or if.....things will work in your home until you try them out in your home.

If wireless won't work to extend your network, and you are convinced that you cannot run the Ethernet cable (an electrician can make the wiring disappear in most cases), you could try powerline.

If your TV has an Ethernet port, my advice would be to connect the powerline adapter to the TV and not even try to fool with wireless at all for the TV.

Sep 28, 2017 9:27 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Normally, I do not use wireless to extend a network, but I have a spare AirPort Express handy and decided to set things up.

The AirPort Extreme is on my desk and checks out at about 100 Mbps on a few speed checks when my Mac is close to the router.

45-50 feet away in the kitchen with the signal having to pass through two walls, I get about 40-45 Mbps. My walls do not use insulation with any kind of foil backing.

If I install an AirPort Express about half way....at 20-25 feet and check the speed again in the kitchen, it moves up to about 60-65 Mbps. So, the Express is working OK. You should see similar results if your Express is working OK.

airport express not extending network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.