Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I allow WebGL?

The setting to allow WebGL used to be available under the Security tab of Safari preferences. Now I can't find it anywhere. Not under that tab, not in "Settings for This Website" and not under "Develop" in the menu bar. Does anyone know how I can enable WebGL?

This article says I should see the setting: Safari for Mac: If a website has WebGL graphics in Safari

This article leaves it out: Safari Security preferences - Apple Support

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13), Safari 11.0

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 4:47 AM

Safari 11/ macOS High Sierra

WebGL feature is not available yet.

If you download Safari Technology Preview version of Safari for macOS High Sierra,

WebGL 2.0 is available as an experimental feature under Develop menu.

Best.

7 replies

Sep 29, 2017 12:27 PM in response to PN2

I suspected that to be the case with Safari 11 and perhaps it works fine with many sites, but not with Tinkercad. The problem doesn't show up until you actually attempt to work on a design there. The site returns the message "You need WebGL to work with Tinkercad" and directs you to https://support.tinkercad.com/hc/en-us/articles/205849078-My-browser-supports-We bGL-but-Tinkercad-doesn-t-acknowledge-it…

In fact, the links you have included in your post return a similar message.

User uploaded file

Sep 29, 2017 9:24 AM in response to dominic23

Thanks, dominic23, the website I was looking at, tinkered.com, works well in the Safari Technology Preview.

Oddly, while WebGL 2.0 is listed in the Experimental Features section of the Develop menu, I did not need to enable it. The feature remains unchecked, yet the website works without complaining that I should enable WebGL. Go figure.

Oct 25, 2017 8:22 AM in response to salient7

I run Safari 11.0 on El Crapitan 10.11.6 on both my late 2012 Mac mini and early 2015 rMBP. WebGL is NOT supported. I get the message at https://get.webgl.org/ that it "seems" the browser supports it, but blah blah blah it doesn't work.

While at this time it's not only WebGL 1.0, but 2.0 is supported by other browsers, Apple still lagging behind everyone else. They are more occupied by "innovations", such as making their iPhone screens bigger by 0.1 inches.

I contacted Apple tech support via chat about the WebGL issue. They were so clueless, they didn't even know what year is it.

Unbelievable...

How can I allow WebGL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.