Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.

Trying to make a bootable usb and I keep getting this

"/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application."

Dont understand as this is downloaded from the App Store

Any Help Appreciated

Bill

Mac mini

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2017 3:37 PM

The most likely problem is that you downloaded the 19.7mb version of the installer from the app store. This means that you cannot install it onto removable media. This installer from the app store downloads the OS from the internet. If you want to make it work you need to follow the steps on this website (http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/27/download-complete-macos-high-sierra-installer/) this will download the full download version that is not installed through the internet. You will still use the same command from the apple page and it should now work (How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support) and this personally worked for me and i had this same problem.

Thanks, Tyler

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2017 3:37 PM in response to WilliamStark

The most likely problem is that you downloaded the 19.7mb version of the installer from the app store. This means that you cannot install it onto removable media. This installer from the app store downloads the OS from the internet. If you want to make it work you need to follow the steps on this website (http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/27/download-complete-macos-high-sierra-installer/) this will download the full download version that is not installed through the internet. You will still use the same command from the apple page and it should now work (How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support) and this personally worked for me and i had this same problem.

Thanks, Tyler

Oct 5, 2017 3:48 PM in response to WilliamStark

Is it a 5GB app, or a much smaller stub?

Finder -> Get Info should tell you.

The Stub is 19MB and is a firmware check. If your firmware does not know how to boot the new APFS file system, then the Stub will arrange to update the firmware before allowing your get the full installer, and possibly brick your Mac, after installing High Sierra and your SSD boot disk is converted to APFS.

Oct 15, 2017 8:45 AM in response to sophat218

I have not upgraded any of my old systems at the moment, so I only got the 5GB version.

You should run the installer on your system, as it is most likely going to apply a firmware update to your Mac so that it is capable of booting an APFS file system. Then I believe it will download the full installer. As aways, when the installer starts up, you can "Quit" and then you can create your bootable installer.

/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.