Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility scan failed on "Container disk1"?

I just upgraded to the new macOS High Sierra today(9/28/17)
Prior to updating i decided to run a quick disk utility scan to make sure everything is fine on my internal hard drive for my Macbook Air.

When my Disk Utility opened i notice that there was only one disk avaliable; on sierra there was technically two if dropped down. I found out to show all the devices avaliable and saw a new disk called "Container disk1"; i never seen the disk before and decided to run a scan on it but it failed.

User uploaded file

Ive never seen this "Container disk1" before and my iMac doesnt have a container disk when all devices are selected.

I ran disk utility in safe mode and it still failed; in recover mode however it ran a successful scan with no problems detected.

Why is Disk Utility unable to scan this "Container disk1" when is regular startup? Where did "Container disk1" even come from?

Does anyone else see a similar disk in thier Disk Utility when showing all devices? Especially if on a Macbook?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2017 9:54 PM

If your run First Aid on the Container it will generate the error.

You need to boot into Recovery and run the DiskUtility>First Aid there on your Macintosh HD This is where it counts.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

7 replies

Nov 11, 2017 6:58 AM in response to SebasT14

I have this as well. Never saw it before updating to High Sierra. Tried running First Aid on it which failed, but I don't think it's a problem. Just a part of the new APFS (Apple File System) as opposed to an actual disk.

APFS comes with a range of "solid" features including support for 64-bit inode numbering, and improved granularity of object time-stamping. "APFS supports nanosecond time stamp granularity rather than the 1-second time stamp granularity in HFS+." It also supports copy-on-write metadata scheme which aims to ensure that file system commits and writes to the file system journal stay in sync even if "something happens during the write -- like if the system loses power." The new file system offers an improvement over Apple's previous full-disk encryption File Vault application. It also features Snapshots (that lets you throw off a read-only instant of a file system at any given point in time), and Clones. According to the documentation, APFS can create file or directory clones -- and like a proper next-generation file system, it does so instantly, rather than having to wait for data to be copied. From the report:

Disk Utility scan failed on "Container disk1"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.