Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it advisable to rebuild directory of disks with DiskWarrior on a regular-basis, as routine maintenance?

Is it advisable to rebuild directory of disks with DiskWarrior on a regular-basis, as routine maintenance?

Say, once a month, or if the Mac crashes/reboots unexpectedly, or you have to force shutdown? For Mac booting disks? Time Machine disks? Sparse bundle Disk Image made with Disk Utility? Other disks (non-booting) just with data?

Thanks.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Booting from internal Apple SSD 2TB

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 4:19 AM

17 replies

Sep 29, 2017 8:28 PM in response to ApMaX

No. Never. All those things can possibly do is to accelerate wear and a hard disk drive's eventual demise.

It's the height of absurdity to use it with solid state storage, which your profile indicates you have.

Do not use those things. I never have, and not in the nearly 30 years of using countless Macs with countless hard disk drives have I ever experienced a hard disk drive failure. Not one, ever. That is not a coincidence. It is a reason.

This site is full of reports of premature hard disk failure with a high correlation between that and the use of such utter garbage.

Macs do not need that kind of attention. They work best when treated with benign neglect.

Oct 21, 2017 11:18 AM in response to John Galt

Even if disks are filled with issues when checked with DiskWarrior? I have saved many Mac disks with DiskWarrior that were otherwise broken. Sometimes Disk Utility broke even more such disks and DiskWarrior saved them. This is a solid experience with thousands of Macs for many years at our University.

Oct 21, 2017 3:48 PM in response to ApMaX

ApMaX wrote:

Believe or not, what I said is true.

Let us review, shall we.

ApMaX wrote:

To which I replied:

John Galt wrote:

No.

You answered your own question before even asking it, so what are you doing here? There are millions of Mac users practically begging and pleading to throw money at worthless products every day, and are certain to agree with each other. When that happens, exchange your mutual high-fives, mark this Discussion "solved", and move on.

Oct 22, 2017 1:18 AM in response to Yer_Man

Sure. The problem and the reason for my question is: what happens when you do not know if the disk structure is damaged? You will not know for sure until you run DiskWarrior. So, yes, DiskWarrior makes only sense if such disk structure is damaged, but you must run it to know.

So, in such context, I understand that running DiskWarrior is not only a must when disk structure is damaged, but also for routine maintenance to check if disk structure is damaged. Because if it is indeed damaged and you do not know and you do nothing to fix it, you may eventually lose all data. That is my experience over years, as said, and wanted to know what other users's experience is.

Oct 23, 2017 1:32 PM in response to Lexiepex

Here are just two reviews from respected experts among many others after searching Google for

"DiskWarrior for routine maintenance":

Essential Mac Maintenance: Rev up your routines

By Dan Frakes

Macworld

A more-thorough option is to use Alsoft’s $100 DiskWarrior 4.1( ), which has long been the gold standard for directory fixing.

https://www.macworld.com/article/1133730/computers/maintenance-routines.html

Alsoft DiskWarrior 5 (for Mac)

By William Fenton

PC Magazine

Alsoft DiskWarrior 5 is the data recovery software that Apple forgot to include. In fact, that isn't entirely true: Apple once bundled the third-party utility with AppleCare. Today, the utility is no less useful for a swivel-neck iMac or a MacBook with a solid-state drive (SSD). In fact, Alsoft DiskWarrior 5 is one of the best utilities you can buy for your Mac.

I've been using the $119 DiskWarrior to perform routine maintenance and to resurrect defunct Macs since it shipped on a CD. While Alsoft has updated the utility and adopted flash storage over the past 18 years, DiskWarrior continues to perform maintenance and recovery tasks that no other utility can do. That includes utilities from Apple, whose Disk Utility may be suitable for basic maintenance and partition, but remains ill-prepared to repair badly damaged directories that result in kernel panics and boot failures. While Prosoft Data Rescue 4 can scan disks to recover lost or deleted files, DiskWarrior is unrivaled in its ability to repair and rebuild the Mac directory. It's worth the price of admission.

Concerning Command-line versus GUI:

Since Apple released its Recovery partition (with OS X 10.7), the process has become more complicated. You must boot into the Recovery partition (you hold down the R key), launch the Terminal (from the Utilities menu), and enter a command into the prompt (/Volumes/DW/go). It's important that to enter that command exactly: add a space or lose a slash and DiskWarrior won't launch. It took me longer than I care to admit to realize I had forgotten to include the forward slash before Volumes.

However, when it comes to repairing a Mac volume, a utility like Data Drill cannot compare to DiskWarrior, which, after more than two decades in the business, continues to offer the most effective tool for repairing and rebuilding Mac directories. As a result, Alsoft DiskWarrior 5 is the PCMag Editors' Choice for data recovery utilities.

http://uk.pcmag.com/system-performance-products/89503/review/alsoft-diskwarrior- 5-for-mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.