Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 - Volume Control

Am I missing something here or is this a bug? I have an iphone 8 plus running iOS 11.0.1. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to adjust volume for alerts and notifications. Driving me crazy! Right now, the volume is maxed out and very loud when I receive a new email or a text on my iphone. So annoying. Don't you just simply swipe up to get into the control center and adjust the volume there using the bar on the right? I have it turned one bar away from mute and it makes no difference whatsoever. Volume is still the same level (loud) for alerts/notifications/texts,etc. As for the other settings, under "Settings, Sounds & Haptics" I have "Change with Buttons" turned on. I have "System Haptics" turned on as well. I had a few others in my office try it on their phones as well and they have same symptoms. Must be a bug.

Help!

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 7:34 AM

Hi. The volume control in Control Center is for music and voice. The volume control at the top of Settings > Sounds & Haptics controls the sounds. You need to turn it down. I suspect that the buttons only control the sounds volume when a sound is playing.

24 replies

Sep 29, 2017 7:52 AM in response to Diana.McCall

But this turns down my ringer volume, which I do not want. I want the ringer volume at one setting, and my alerts/notifications at another volume level. I turned off the "change with buttons" toggle and then it allows me to adjust the volume using the buttons on the side but the volume level is still the same (loud!). I have always been able to do this with previous iOS versions.

Oct 25, 2017 9:50 AM in response to rbonse

I have noticed that the in-app volume control is now controlling other audio (ringer, notifications, etc.) The ringer volume control doesn’t seem to be doing much. The volume buttons SHOULD change either, if you have it set up in your preferences, depending what the display is showing when the buttons are pressed. Again, ringer (and notification) volume control doesn’t seem to be working even though it is present on the GUI. User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Feb 3, 2018 6:43 AM in response to orionselph

I had the same problem with dictation microphone (start and end) alert volume. I have iOS 11.1.1 iPhone 8. **To adjust the microphone alert volume: go into Notes to create new note. Press the microphone button to enable dictation then immediately press your volume down button on the side of the handset to lower the volume of the alert. I used both hands when doing this. You probably will need the “change with buttons” setting enabled in sounds & haptics.** Repeat to get the volume level preferred, i.e., these steps will allow for both decreasing or increasing the alert volume.

Jun 5, 2018 9:43 AM in response to rbonse

Oh no...no no no....no way in God's green earth is this possibly an issue in mid-2018. There is no way I believe that Apple has this, well, for lack of better words, a newb issue on their hands.

So basically everyone is confirming to me that this is seriously a thing with iPhones? I switched over just a month ago from my LG V30...considering going back...but now I'm just shocked. Has Apple really no idea how to give us the control over different volume sources in the phone? I mean...Windows has done this for years...Android has done this for a decade. Let me grab my iPhone X...NOPE! Nothing in there either.

The option everyone is mentioning under Sounds & Haptics is pathetically burried beneath several clicks and is not a useful tool for the many times we need to change volumes during the day. And secondly, this does not give me the ability to control my music, notification sounds & alerts and ringer volumes independently.

Pretty lame. This reminds me of the continued issue Apple has with transfering files from your iPhone to a computer, it cannot be done with any video file about 2gb or larger. I'm having to use Google to upload it to Google Drive then download it to my computer. Pretty pathetic for 2018 I think. But Apple does not take it serious nor do they care to improve. This is the 4th convincing factor to hand this phone back to Sprint and say 'no thank you'.

iOS 11 - Volume Control

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.