Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This copy of the Install macOS High Sierra.app application is damaged and can't be used to install macOS

I'm trying to install macOS High Sierra on a mid-2010 MacBook Pro (7,1). Using a bootable USB, I get the error 'This copy of the Install macOS Sierra.app application is damaged, and can't be used to install macOS'. None of the suggested resolutions with Sierra work due to using a USB. The USB is being created on my MacBook Pro (12,1) and has been used for a successful install on the 7,1 - I subsequently had to finish setup to access system info, so am re-installing the OS, which is what is causing the problem. I've re-created the USB several times and get the same error. Unfortunately, I've since erased the SSD (APFS) and there is currently nothing on it.

Booting using the recovery partition doesn't work either. It connects to Internet recovery, both via WiFi and ethernet. Yet I get an error 'The recovery server cannot be contacted'. The recommended solution to use ethernet does not work, nor am I able to edit the hosts file.

How do I install High Sierra when unable to install from the USB or download directly from the server?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 7,1

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 12:04 AM

I've no clue where the install DVD has gone. However, I decided to attempt to install El Capitan via USB and got a similar error: 'This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading'. The seemingly accepted answer on StackExchange is to set the date to the current date or one near to when the image was created.

Checking the system date in terminal showed some time back in 2000. I changed it to today's date and time (date MMDDHHmmYY) and it is now installing fine. Unfortunately, I didn't take this opportunity to go back and check whether this solved the problem with High Sierra, due to only having one USB drive large enough and not wanting to reimage it yet again.

Is it possible that the same solution would fix the issue with High Sierra?

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2017 12:04 AM in response to John Galt

I've no clue where the install DVD has gone. However, I decided to attempt to install El Capitan via USB and got a similar error: 'This copy of the Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading'. The seemingly accepted answer on StackExchange is to set the date to the current date or one near to when the image was created.

Checking the system date in terminal showed some time back in 2000. I changed it to today's date and time (date MMDDHHmmYY) and it is now installing fine. Unfortunately, I didn't take this opportunity to go back and check whether this solved the problem with High Sierra, due to only having one USB drive large enough and not wanting to reimage it yet again.

Is it possible that the same solution would fix the issue with High Sierra?

Oct 5, 2017 3:22 PM in response to basicdesigns

I ran into this today on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) while attempting to perform an erase hard drive and install from a USB flash drive. I tried both OS X 10.11 El Capitan and macOS 10.12 Sierra. After I set the date (ntpdate -u time.apple.com) I was able to perform an erase and install from USB of 10.11 and then an erase and install of 10.12. I wanted to validate that my USB flash drives were not the problem.

Sep 29, 2017 10:51 AM in response to Lexiepex

Kenneth Colins1 wrote:

Turn off SIP, then install High Sierra.

Why would I do that? Surely the way to install Apple's OS is not to turn off a security feature they provide to help ensure the integrity of the software I am installing.

John Galt wrote:

...nor am I able to edit the hosts file.

Can you explain why? An altered Hosts file could be what's preventing the installation.

It was one of the recommended solutions in the developer forum for this very problem.

Sep 29, 2017 11:05 AM in response to basicdesigns

basicdesigns wrote:

It was one of the recommended solutions in the developer forum for this very problem.

That post recommended restoring the Hosts file to its unaltered condition, and as I wrote, if your Mac's Hosts file has been altered, that could be what's preventing the installation.

Do not disable SIP. Do not alter the Finder. Those subjects are completely unrelated to your concern.

Sep 29, 2017 11:34 AM in response to basicdesigns

Heck, can I still get a copy of Snow Leopard (I think it was)?

If necessary, yes: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple

That Mac's original System Install DVD should accompany it from cradle to grave. If you no longer have it, the retail Snow Leopard DVD may be your only recourse. Fortunately it's only $20.

Downloading and making a bootable USB has worked fine in the past. It even worked this morning. Why would it suddenly become a problem, unless the version of High Sierra downloaded from the App Store is corrupt? Can I get a hash from anywhere?

No.

The answer may depend on the method you used to create it. The only method I rely upon follows Apple's published instructions, not the third party solutions frequently promoted on this site, and it works. In any event that seems to be a moot point; if it's not working for you, it's not a solution worth pursuing.

Feb 27, 2018 3:35 PM in response to basicdesigns

Great advice. Used this to successfully install MacOS High Sierra on a Macbook 7,1 via bootable USB (that I created on a Macbook Pro 13,1 using Diskmaker X). I also had to reset the pram to get it to see the USB:

You can reset the pram by doing the following:

1. Shut down the Mac.
  2. Locate the following four keys: option, command, p and r. You'll need them in the next step.
  3. Power on the Mac, then immediately hold option, command, p and r. You need to do this before the grey screen appears.
  4. Hold down the keys until you hear the startup sound twice, then release them.
  5. Plug in the bootable USB stick, restart the Mac, and hold option.

After changing the date everything went smoothly.

Sep 29, 2017 11:12 AM in response to John Galt

I replaced the original HDD with an SSD years ago. There's no original OS anywhere in sight. Heck, can I still get a copy of Snow Leopard (I think it was)? I have no Time Machine or equivalent backup. Downloading and making a bootable USB has worked fine in the past. It even worked this morning. Why would it suddenly become a problem, unless the version of High Sierra downloaded from the App Store is corrupt? Can I get a hash from anywhere?

Sep 29, 2017 12:21 PM in response to John Galt

The purpose of SIP is to protect system files. The purpose of the installation program is to change system files. The installation program has to disable SIP to install the system files and then enable it when it is done. That's why the computer normally restarts a couple of times during the installation.

My speculation is that Apple developers necessarily run with SIP disabled, and forgot to put code in the installer to disable SIP for the duration of the installation. If so, they will correct that oversight in the next couple of working days.

Meanwhile, I successfully updated a 2012 MacBook Pro and a 2017 iMac just by disabling SIP for the duration of the installation.

I don't see how the hosts file has anything to do with it unless it's corrupt or its original entries were changed for some reason An OS upgrade does not overwrite the hosts file, so you do not start out with a fresh copy. That means your hosts file is as old as your computer. If your computer runs fine now, there's probably nothing wrong with the hosts file.

If you don't have a recovery partition, run a Time Machine backup, then do a full install and restore your data from the Time Machine.

This copy of the Install macOS High Sierra.app application is damaged and can't be used to install macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.