Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high sierra slow login

Hi all

Since installing High Sierra, login time has increased greatly - from almost instant with Sierra to just over 11 seconds with High Sierra. Is this normal? I'm on a mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 2:48 PM

Hi fbrickley,

I understand that since updating to macOS High Sierra you're experiencing a slight delay when logging in to your user account. I can understand reaching out to look into this and I'm happy to help. First, I'd recommend running First Aid using Disk Utility: Check a disk or volume for problems

Then, follow these steps to select your startup disk again: How to choose a startup disk on your Mac

Start up your Mac normally and let me know what you find.

Warmest Regards.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2017 2:48 PM in response to fbrickley

Hi fbrickley,

I understand that since updating to macOS High Sierra you're experiencing a slight delay when logging in to your user account. I can understand reaching out to look into this and I'm happy to help. First, I'd recommend running First Aid using Disk Utility: Check a disk or volume for problems

Then, follow these steps to select your startup disk again: How to choose a startup disk on your Mac

Start up your Mac normally and let me know what you find.

Warmest Regards.

Sep 30, 2017 3:55 PM in response to sterling r

Thanks very much for your reply. This has solved the delay following log in.

However, I had an awful time restarting after running first aid - my mac would not accept my correct password. After an hour of stress thinking that i had somehow been locked out, i discovered that when booting up High Sierra now wants your iCloud password first (without prompting that this is what is required), then takes you to a second login screen where it needs your apple id password. Why does this happen? Can I stop it from happening? It seems like iCloud is a nuisance, but I'd like to use find my mac. is there any way of using find my mac without iCloud?

Thanks

high sierra slow login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.