Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

H.265 HEVC support in High Sierra

Hi,

what HEVC (h.265) support in High Sierra translate to? I have been waiting for High Sierra with a sample file converted into a h.265 .mp4 file (I used handbrake to convert it), but even after upgrading, quick look (spacebar) doesn't play it, neither does the finder show a thumbnail, like it does with my h.264 mp4s.

Or are my expectations too high and hevc support actually means something else?

thanks all

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2017 5:50 AM

Handbrake tags h.265 files as 'hev1', while High Sierra recognizes only 'hvc1'.

If you have ffmpeg installed, you can copy and retag your h.265 files without re-encoding them:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -tag:v hvc1 output.mp4

The latest nightly build of handbrake is said to have fixed this compatibility issue.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2017 5:50 AM in response to cukerko

Handbrake tags h.265 files as 'hev1', while High Sierra recognizes only 'hvc1'.

If you have ffmpeg installed, you can copy and retag your h.265 files without re-encoding them:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vcodec copy -acodec copy -tag:v hvc1 output.mp4

The latest nightly build of handbrake is said to have fixed this compatibility issue.

Nov 2, 2017 10:24 AM in response to dialabrain

The Kaby Lake requirement is for hardware encoding; Anything running 10.13 can play back HEVC... as long as it's in a quicktime container (.mov) and not an MPEG-LA container (.mp4).

Quicktime can't even recognize HEVC content created by x265, because x265 exports to an MPEG-4 container, and for some reason Quicktime doesn't like that. Seems like Apple only half-implemented HEVC; they support the codec, but only when it's in their own containers.

I still haven't figured out if you can take an MPEG-4 container and swap it out for Quicktime and make it work; using Video Container Switcher, it's still incompatible with Finder, QuickLook and Quicktime Player.

Jan 3, 2018 6:24 AM in response to dialabrain

I am running a MBP Retina mid 2014.

Playback of H265 works fine IF

1. the tag is "hvc1" (as explained already), and

2a. the MOV container contains mp3 audio; or

2b. you use the MP4 container with aac audio.

So , this is how I convert movies to H265 using ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i "input" -map 0 -c:s copy -map_metadata 0 -c:a aac -b:a 128k -f mp4 -codec:v hevc -tag:v hvc1 -preset faster -crf 24 "output.mp4"

Movies created with that play fine in Quicktime and Quickview.

Otherwise , you can always use VLC, which is more tolerant towards different containers, and codecs, and tags.

H.265 HEVC support in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.