Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Polar H10 and Apple Health

I purchased a Polar H10 heart monitor to use with my iPhone 6 running iOS 11.

I connected it to Bluetooth through the Bluetooth screen in Settings. It paired right away and immediately started working with the Health app. I was happy. I could see my heart rate in real time. The Health app showed that it was received the heart rate from Bluetooth. Even Nike Run Club showed my heart rate in real time.

I took the Polar H10 off, waited a day, and then strapped on again to go for a run.

The Polar H10 would not connect at all. I couldn't get it to connect to Bluetooth. It would display, I would select it, it would indicate it was connected, and then when I flipped to the Health app, there would be nothing. I would flip back to Settings, and the Polar H10 would be disconnected.

Since then, I am ONLY able to get the Polar H10 to work with the third-party app, Polar Beat. It will not work real-time with any other apps. If I run with Polar Beat, upon completing the run, the numbers show up in Health, but not by itself.

I cannot use the Polar H10 with Nike Run Club or any other app.

Does anyone know of any way to configure the Polar H10 to just work with the phone via Bluetooth and not require the Polar Beat app?

I will send it back if I can ONLY use the Polar Beat app.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2017 3:18 PM

I have same issue, polar h10, newest iOS 11 on iPhone 7 Plus. Initially worked great to continuously stream HR to health app. Ran it overnight to see minimum resting heart rate. Next morning put it back on and tried to get it to update again. No luck. I messed with installing and re installing all the polar apps and some additional apps I had installed to display HR better.

Just succeeded at displaying HR to health app continuously by restarting phone, and connecting directly to polar H10 via bluetooth. not sure what I fixed or if it will remain fixed.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2017 3:18 PM in response to JasabellG

I have same issue, polar h10, newest iOS 11 on iPhone 7 Plus. Initially worked great to continuously stream HR to health app. Ran it overnight to see minimum resting heart rate. Next morning put it back on and tried to get it to update again. No luck. I messed with installing and re installing all the polar apps and some additional apps I had installed to display HR better.

Just succeeded at displaying HR to health app continuously by restarting phone, and connecting directly to polar H10 via bluetooth. not sure what I fixed or if it will remain fixed.

Dec 18, 2017 10:26 AM in response to JasabellG

I had problems too with iphone 7 ios 11.2.1. (however, h7 worked fine at same time with iphone 4s and ios 9)

Installed Polar flow but with no effect. Did reset the h7, restarted iphone 7 with 11.2.1, no effect. Phone ios in bluetooth settings asked to allow new devices. Did allow, no effect. Then deleted the Polar flow app, now health app is showing beats again .... But h7 still not showing up health app - devices. Have no idea what happened.

Jan 6, 2018 9:52 AM in response to JasabellG

Same here in Switzerland, Polar H7 or H10 just stopped to connect directly with AppleHealth. The sensors, can be connected in settings->bluetooth and still there is no heart-rate data displayed in AppleHealth, or collected in AppleHealth "all data". If I install Polar Beat, I can see the HR easily in the PolarBeat app, it even works and saves the HR during a workout. BUT after the workout, when its transferred to AppleHealth, it shows only the data of 1HR per minute. So after a 20minute WO I just have 20 HR datapoints in AppleHealth. In the PolarBeatApp however, it shows the HR for every second!

So for example for analysing HIIT's the Data is unusable.

Interesting thing is that it worked at first for 1time (direct connection H10 / H7 to AppleHealth writing a datapoint for every second connected) and just stopped. On some phones of my friends (Same Phone, same OS, same settings, same apps (they are company managed phones) it still works, on others its the same like on mine...

Does anyone have an idea, as to what might cause this?

Jan 10, 2018 10:46 AM in response to JasabellG

I have a similar issue with my Polar H10. I can connect and see the H10 in the bluetooth settings, but I don't see it as a source in the Health app (my non-functioning H7 is still listed as a source).

However, when I click on the iPhone5s in the source list, I see that "heart rate" is listed as a metric it collects. Clicking on "show all data" I see that the heart rate data from there is from the H10. But the last reading is four days ago. I'm wearing the H10 now, and it is not collecting new data points.

I don't know what I was doing when I wore the H10 four days ago that would make it record data then but not now.

Jan 14, 2018 11:29 AM in response to JasabellG

I have a similar problem. Iphone 6 running 11.2.1 at first and then 11.2.2.I installed several apps, realized I should have paired to the phone first. Deleted the apps or removed the pairing. Paired to the phone and it worked. I got 24 hours of heartbeat data into Apple health, including sleep time. Removed the h10 and then started using only in workouts for a day, everything worked fine using just Coherence and FITIV pulse. Both apps beheaved well, Coherence looks to healthkit for a connection and FITIV connects and disconnects without interfering with the phone. Day 3: h10 wouldn't connect to anything. I noticed the iphone wasn't listing the H10 after it is disconnected - it didn't go to "not connected" it simply disappeared from the bluetooth listings. I have 3 other bluetooth devices, all not connected, and they just automatically pair when in range. Day 4 upgraded to 11.2.2, removed apps, etc. H10 is pairing to the phone, and working with FITIV. However when FITIV is disconnected and listing no monitor, or even before first use of FITIV APple health doesn't see any heart rate, doesn't record, and Coherence doesn't find a monitor in Healthkit, even though iphone bluetooth is showing connected. The iphone is now remembering the H10 even when not connected so progress. But still - Is this a way to try sell Apple watches? Crappy support for 3rd party monitors? Studies show that chest monitors are far more accurate for heart rate data than anything on the wrist.

Jan 18, 2018 11:55 AM in response to JasabellG

Hi JasabellG & others,

I recently bought an H10 to replace my old H7, and found it has some of the same quirks as it's sibling. I design connected items for a living, and in my work stumbled across something which helps with this issue.

When a bluetooth health device connects normally for awhile but loses all cohesion afterwards, what typically helps is a soft reset of the phone. The soft reset clears the bluetooth stack on the phone, which a restart of the phone does not seem to do. Refer to Apple's instructions for this, but you can find some info at https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-reset-iphone/.

I found that this helped me to connect the H10 to my Apple Watch again - soft resetting the Apple Watch instead of restarting it. It seems that Apple's approach is similar across devices, as I was able to get constant HR charts on the Apple Watch again with the H10. I would imagine the same goes for your phone.

For me, this unfortunately means resetting the Apple Watch probably every time prior I exercise using the strap. I suspect Apple's BT-implementation has something not quite right in it, as the juggling is needed every time to make the thing work.

Hope this helps.

Polar H10 and Apple Health

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.