Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot iPhone encrypted backup password

my phone has broken, when trying to restore from backup, a prompt message to ''Enter your password for you iPhone backup'' is displayed.

I'm not manage to pass this step.

I have tried to untick the box for the ''Encrypt iPhone backup'' but the same message is being displayed and it seems that I don't remember - it is not the AppleID password or iCloud

I couldn't find any place where I can restore the password

pls assist

Tnx

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 2:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2018 10:21 AM

I recently had the same problem trying to restore a backup which I did not encrypt. In my case, the iOS software automatically imposed an encryption even though I left the encryption box unchecked. I see two time stamps of my backup, each with different passwords and know that I did not create those password back ups. You can try to reveal this password by doing the following:

1. On your Mac computer go to Finder> Go> Utilities> KeyChain Access.app
  2. Double click the app and scroll down. Look for iOS Backup. There may be a couple of dates. Find the latest date of your back up and double click.
  3. Check the box "Show password" and enter your computer's passcode (the one that you use to login to your computer).

This should reveal your password for the backup. Go back to iTunes and restore the backup using the password revealed above. Hope this helps!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2018 10:21 AM in response to andrewyeoman

I recently had the same problem trying to restore a backup which I did not encrypt. In my case, the iOS software automatically imposed an encryption even though I left the encryption box unchecked. I see two time stamps of my backup, each with different passwords and know that I did not create those password back ups. You can try to reveal this password by doing the following:

1. On your Mac computer go to Finder> Go> Utilities> KeyChain Access.app
  2. Double click the app and scroll down. Look for iOS Backup. There may be a couple of dates. Find the latest date of your back up and double click.
  3. Check the box "Show password" and enter your computer's passcode (the one that you use to login to your computer).

This should reveal your password for the backup. Go back to iTunes and restore the backup using the password revealed above. Hope this helps!

Sep 29, 2017 4:04 PM in response to itayfromgibraltar

See the following from About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support

There is no way to recover your information or turn off Encrypt Backup if you lose or forget the password.

and

If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup

You can’t restore an encrypted backup without its password. With iOS 11 or later, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting the password. Here’s what to do:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode.
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.

You won't be able to use previous encrypted backups, but you can back up your current data using iTunes and setting a new backup password.If you have a device with iOS 10 or ealier, you can't reset the password. In this case, try the following:

• If someone else set up your device, ask them for the password.
  • Use an iCloud backup instead of iTunes. If you don't have an iCloud backup, you can make one.
  • Try using an older iTunes backup.

Jan 7, 2018 7:11 AM in response to FoxFifth

What you have posted looks very helpful BUT for those (like me) with limited understanding on some of the terminology may I kindly ask for further explanation - (my text, comment, question in Green,BOLD and underlined)

You can’t restore an encrypted backup without its password. With iOS 11 or later, you can make a new encrypted backup of your device (by device i am assuming all iphones , ipads?) by resetting the password. Here’s what to do:

1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
  2. Tap Reset All Settings and enter your iOS passcode. (IOS passcode - is this passcode you use to activate the iphone regularly i.e 4 or 6 digit?)
  3. Follow the steps to reset your settings. This won't affect your user data or passwords, but it will reset settings like display brightness, Home screen layout, and wallpaper. It also removes your encrypted backup password.
  4. Connect your device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup. ( So, all Apps, Mail settings, Contact Lists are still on the iphone although one has "Reset All Settings"?)

You won't be able to use previous encrypted backups, but you can back up your current data using iTunes and setting a new backup password.If you have a device with iOS 10 or ealier, you can't reset the password. In this case, try the following:

• If someone else set up your device, ask them for the password.
  • Use an iCloud backup instead of iTunes. If you don't have an iCloud backup, you can make one.
  • Try using an older iTunes backup.

(So, in Short : it is possible BUT complicated (i.e NOT a "regular" Apple Help-desk item) - and maybe all data could remain locked for ever, in iTunes, IF the above does not work? - wow, that is seriously crazy!)

If any one can provide an "idiots guide" to such issues it would be extremely welcomed. Note: I am using an iphone 6s currently - wanting to transfer data to a new iphone 8)

Also - Like many before hace commented, I cannot recall having set a password for restoring data.......is this something Apple have imposed automatically on recent IOS software?

Forgot iPhone encrypted backup password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.