Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Built-in microphone not working after HS install

After installing High Sierra, I was really impressed at how much Siri had improved. Whereas before I would have to repeat myself over and over again, each time trying to enunciate more clearly, suddenly I could talk at a normal level and she would understand me completely nearly 100% of the time.

However, suddenly, she couldn't hear me. I checked the sound settings, and everything's correct, except that no sound is being acknowledged. However, if I tap the sides of the computer the levels change.

Any ideas's what's going on? This a bug, or what?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 29, 2017 8:59 PM

5 replies

Sep 30, 2017 4:01 PM in response to Brian Kingstone

Hello Brian Kingstone,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, after installing macOS High Sierra you've noticed that the built in microphone in your iMac does not perform as expected. I'd love to provide you with some information that could help you resolve the issue.

Normally, sound issues such as volume and microphone performance can be troubleshot by means of resetting the NVRAM on your Mac. The following article explains how to perform this task:

How to reset NVRAM on your Mac
I hope this information helps.
Cheers.

Oct 3, 2017 4:33 PM in response to Brian Kingstone

Hello Brian Kingstone,

Thanks for trying out the steps provided. We understand the issue persists and would like to offer a couple of additional steps.

Let's try starting your Mac in safe mode. You can find the steps for this process below:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac
Should the issue persist, try to recreate the issue on another user in your Mac:
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac
We hope this can help you further.
Cheers.

Oct 7, 2017 5:47 AM in response to Brian Kingstone

Hi Brian Kingstone,

Thanks for trying the steps provided. It is indeed strange to see the sporadic nature of the issue. Taking this new information into consideration, we'd recommend contacting our technical advisors online or over the phone. They'll be able to gather additional information that could help us resolve this issue. I've included the link with contact details below.

Contact Apple for support and service
Cheers.

Sep 30, 2017 6:30 PM in response to sterling r

Thanks for the reply, but sorry, it didn't work. Sound input is still non-existent.

For a moment earlier today I thought it might have self-corrected. I've gotten in the habit of randomly opening Siri and asking something. Twice today she seemed to have heard the beginning of what I said, and responded that she didn't understand. Up to now, I speak, nothing happens, Siri says nothing, and the text "Go ahead, I'm listening" appears followed by a list of possible things I might ask.

However, like I said, that was short-lived. We're back to the nothing.

Sure hoping that it's a bug that'll be corrected in the next update.

Oct 3, 2017 5:41 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen.

Thanks for the assistance, but unfortunately it hasn't changed anything.

Booted into Safe Mode, but couldn't see if the microphone worked as it was disable. When I clicked on Siri, I got the message the she wasn't available as no microphone was detected.

Rebooted and tried a couple of different accounts. I suspected that I'd tried this earlier, but couldn't remember. Anyways, it couldn't hurt, so gave it a try. Same thing with all accounts. The microphone doesn't pick up any outside sound, but still registers something if I softly tap the side of the computer.

As I said before, the strangest thing other than the fact that Siri worked before - and better than she ever had - is that it seemed to have briefly worked to some degree again and then stopped again.

Built-in microphone not working after HS install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.