Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast Sync Issues - iTunes 12.7 and iOS 11

I'm posting this in the hope it will help others if they experience issues similar to mine following the recent updates to iTunes (v12.7) and iOS 11.

Issues:

1 - Locked Subscribe button (padlock) in iTunes Podcasts Settings.

2 - Syncing downloaded episodes via iTunes can duplicate those episodes on the iDevice.

3 - Syncing downloaded episodes via iTunes doesn't always remove the "cloud" icon, possibly connected to 2.

4 - Episodes played on one device not showing as such on others.

For 1 I've found that ctrl clicking on the Podcast show title and selecting "Delete from Library" appears to remove the padlock. You might get a warning regarding several podcasts but you can still download afterwards if required.

User uploaded file

In the above you would ctrl click on "MacCast....."

User uploaded file

You may need to turn the Subscribe button on/off or off/on to get the desired setting back.

For 2, 3 and 4 you need to remove all Podcast information from you iDevices and let it come back down from the Apple. The easiest way is to go into Settings/General/iPhone or iPad Storage and scroll down to Podcasts, when in Podcasts click "Delete App".

User uploaded file

This removes the app and all it's data (which includes any stored episodes), once done you can then go to the App Store and download the Podcasts App again.

Depending on if you require the app or iTunes to manage the episodes you might need to go into Podcast Setting (Settings/Podcasts) and set the "Download Episodes" to Off, Only New or All Unplayed - it can be Off if you intend to manage via iTunes.

User uploaded file

Hopefully, clearing out data on the iDevices also removes any possible conflicts with what Apple has stored (which may have come about from iTunes or previous iOS updates.

The above is what I've found works for me, the logic might stand being corrected by those that have a better understanding on how the whole syncing process works between iTunes, Apple and our iDevices, but until Apple decides to give us a method to simply Reset the whole Podcast process it will have to do (or does that already exist?).

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13), 500Gb SSD, 3.1GHz i7

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 3:21 AM

4 replies

Oct 26, 2017 5:43 AM in response to codyMR

No problem, I still sometimes get the “duplicate” episodes if syncing from iTunes without first opening the iOS Podcasts App, but the “played” syncing and “subscription padlock” appears sorted. I’m hoping 11.1 (or next iTunes update) might resolve the duplicates problem but time will tell, strangely get it with both iPad and iPhone but not sure which end the issue is at, plus it only happens occasionally (hate those sort of intermittent problems).

Oct 27, 2017 12:09 AM in response to codyMR

The only other option is to Restore the device, but would guess this could have something to do with iTunes because you are saying it's happening on both of your devices, my ongoing "duplicates" issue is also on both iPhone and iPad so have also put it down to iTunes/macOS but I don't seem to have any other problems so am living with it at the moment and like you hoping for an update fix in the near future.

You could confirm the above by restoring one device and see what happens, but if you install one of your backups in the process you could bring back the issue, so a clean restore is the best way and re-setup manually (could be a lot of hard work).

Not sure what else to suggest other than wait and see!

Podcast Sync Issues - iTunes 12.7 and iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.