Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra - Failure w/thumbnail cache

Hi,

after I upgrade my iMac to High Sierra, I've got a problem with Finder and Thumbnail icon previews.

I stored many short video clips on my network-drive (Synology NAS) . Everyone was named and enhanced with a special thumbnail, created with Image2Icon.app, So I can find them easylie.

With Sierra, the Mac shows the preview images propably, even after restart of the mac or NAS.

At the time I upgraded to High Sierra, after opening the folder, Finder.app first only shows placeholder icon for multimedia file (like mp4, m4v, wmv). I tried to set and reset "show icon preview" in view options of every folder. Therefrom Finder load every icon propably, but needs much time (it seems, they load the hole file in background, and search for an image). But after restart of the Mac, Finder lost all the preview thumbnails, and restart looking in every file and load the thumbnails again.

Before High Sierra, macOS / OS X stored the quickview thumbnail file in /var/folders/.../com.apple.QuickLook.thumbnailcache in an file named: thumbnails.data..

This filesize didn't change anymore, and got only a few KBs. On Sierra, this file has got >500MB.

Does anyone know this problem and can provide help?

Thanks a lot.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 10:55 PM

Have the same problem and it ties up memory trying to sort it out causing problems with the Bluetooth connection to my Tivoli audio system and when I reboot the computer to fix this it erases all of the re-cached artwork... I went through all of my folders and let the artwork return only to have to start over again, a never ending cycle. Tried to go back to old Sierra (never had these issues there) and was not able to do so. Hope this problem is fixed soon. I spent a great deal of time creating artwork for these files.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2017 10:55 PM in response to MasterChiefSiegen

Have the same problem and it ties up memory trying to sort it out causing problems with the Bluetooth connection to my Tivoli audio system and when I reboot the computer to fix this it erases all of the re-cached artwork... I went through all of my folders and let the artwork return only to have to start over again, a never ending cycle. Tried to go back to old Sierra (never had these issues there) and was not able to do so. Hope this problem is fixed soon. I spent a great deal of time creating artwork for these files.

Nov 19, 2017 10:55 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

To clarify : It appears to function as before accept that it is substantially slower and seems to use more RAM than before to perform this task. I am using an external hard-drive for these files. If that makes a difference? When I first used my external drive after installing High Sierra I thought my clip art had been erased because it did not show at first. Eventually the artwork began to appear on the files...very slowly.

The only way I have found to make it work as it did previously (in Sierra) was to go through each folder in list view and allow it to cache the whole folder, then the next and so on till all of the artwork returned. But... As I stated above when I shut down or restart my computer it's all gone of course and I have to go through the waiting game all over and it causes the Bluetooth issues due to using RAM.

I'm not super computer literate as I am way old school (grew up programming with DOS on a Timex Sinclair 1000) but it appears to be an issue with RAM. Perhaps there's a correlation to what MasterChiefSigen says about the file size being greater. They question is why, and what can be done to fix it.

Please help Apple...

Nov 19, 2017 11:00 PM in response to ihateyoursuggestion

Thanks for response!

The problem still occurs since airing new macOS-Update. For working practice it is very sad and unlovely , because, Finder.app sometimes hang upto a few minutes by opening an rescanned folder. Even in this case, sometimes I have to restart Finder.App.

Please, can anybody (but better Apple) provide an solution?

Dec 4, 2017 5:12 PM in response to MasterChiefSiegen

Same here, really p*ssing me off, I have an external hard drive and all my movies have thumbnails created by myself so I can scan through the cover art for the movie instead of trying to read each 'file name' but since upgrading to High Sierra they take SO LONG to load.... is there still no fix for this?

Also I noticed it takes AGES to transfer files from my desktop to external hard drives, earlier on it says 35 minutes for a 700mb file, and 45 minutes for a 1.2gb movie file.

I'd love to downgrade back to Sierra but I had font issues, 2 threads made on here for help yet nobody knew the problem so I had to upgrade, at first this issue with the thumbnails and tranfers were fine but now it's just REALLY slow again.

I even bought extra RAM going from 8 to 24GB to try and sort this but no luck at all.

Dec 7, 2017 10:40 AM in response to MasterChiefSiegen

Yeah that's true, makes sense.... still a bit wary though, don't want to upgrade again now so High Sierra and maybe still have the same issues I was having before, as i'd then have to downgrade YET AGAIN and reinstall everything, maybe i'll wait a bit, and if you can keep us updated at all, maybe give it a few days and see if the speeds are still fast.

Dec 12, 2017 3:26 AM in response to UrbanKaos

Is this still running ok for you? not slowed back down at all?

i'm still on Sierra and still wary about upgrading again as I don't want the same issue (the update not fix is for me) and have to restore the whole of my iMac again and go back to Sierra, as i'm having the same font issues in Sierra which again is annoying me, but I can't find any other people say that the update worked for them in regards of loading thumbnails faster on external hard drives.... and the transfer speed itself, as I said before, 45 minutes to move a 700mb from my desktop to an external hard drive which takes seconds on Sierra.

High Sierra - Failure w/thumbnail cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.