Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad failed to sync photos with Mac on iOS11

After upgrading to iOS11 (and iOS11.0.1), there's problem for syncing photos with Mac. Error message "The iPad cannot be synced. An internal device error occurred" pops up half-way during the sync using iTunes (12.7.0.166) on High-Sierra (10.13). Other stuffs like Musics have no problem.

Following has been done but problem cannot be solved:

On Mac

- Reset PRAM

- Repaired Mac with Disk Utility

- Repaired Photo Library

- Deleted iPod Photo Cache in Photo Library

- Entered safe mode

On iPad

- Sync with cable or via Wifi

- Resetting the iPad and restore it

- Set up as an new iPad and sync with my Mac

- Set up as an new iPad and sync with another Mac

- Swapped the original machine with a maintenance unit from Apple store

Worth to note that this problem does not happen to my iPhone, but only to my iPad Pro (9.7 inch).

Anyone share similar experiences? Thanks.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 10:18 AM

22 replies

Dec 10, 2017 5:26 PM in response to hansen.chan

To everyone.

This is a long-standing issue since the intro of iOS 11, 2 months, ago.

You are not the only ones with this issue.

Everyone here, look at this thread post!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8077814

All of you here need to continually and constantly report this issue to Apple by constantly hammering Apple’s feedback pages with multiple feedback each time a new iOS 11 update is released until this issue is resolved by Apple.

The only way to get Apple to listen to you is to use their feedback portion of their website.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Cognizant Apple employees read ALL feedback generated from all of the various feedback pages and transfers the data to the proper, responsible Apple teams and personnel , but NO Apple employees will ever respond with any type of direct, individual replies from the feedback you post.

Good Luck to Us ALL!

Oct 1, 2017 2:02 PM in response to hansen.chan

I have this problem as well. It seems like after a short period of transferring the photos, the iPad becomes "overloaded" (for lack of a better term), and apps start to crash (if I have Settings open, it will eventually close and go to the home screen), and the rate of photos being transferred will drop to nothing, and then it will stall and fail.

If I then restart iTunes, unplug and then re-plug in the USB cable, and wait or reboot the iPad, I can do the process again, and it will show that some of the photos (300 or so in my case) have been transferred, and then you can do the process all over again and another 300 (or more, or less) will be transferred.

I found that I can iterate on this process for a long time to get the 2,000 photos (from Aperture) transferred across.

Not fun at all, but it does seem to work if you want to put in the time to iterate as required.

Still a huge PITA and I'm hoping that it gets resolved quickly, as this seriously hampers my workflow.

Oct 2, 2017 3:29 PM in response to Ranger111

FYI I SPENT About2 hours on the phone with a call from Apple. Used screen sharing to observe the problem and did diagnostic dumps and sent to apple. They are obviously aware of the problem and are working on a fix. How long this will take is anyone's guess. I said to tell Tim Cook that I want credit for assisting in diagnosis (ha ha). Like you I will be reverting to IOS 10

Oct 11, 2017 5:50 PM in response to fenchi

Still same problem with iOS11.0.3: Photos still not syncing properly from iTunes.

After the disaster with iOS11.0.2 that would not sync at all I just tried to load over 1000 photos which I need on my iPad for professional reasons. After a few hundred photos iTunes indicated that it had completed but the iPad Air 2 showed only those couple of 100's photos and still said something like"...synchronizing...".

Also, to restart iTunes (under Win 7) I now have to restart my computer?!?

Apple: I find this pretty pathetic!!!

Nov 4, 2017 5:00 AM in response to hansen.chan

You're right, it still fails on the new iOS 11.1 formal release.

Besides this iPad Air 2 Photo sync failure, macOS High Sierra has made me further disappointed me with (1) iTunes cannot locate music files when moved to another place, and (2) the system fails to display cover pictures of music files in Finder.

Hope that Apple is to fix them soon in the following updates. (😓)

Dec 11, 2017 4:12 AM in response to MichelPM

Still have the same problem. Apple updated iTunes which they thought might fix the probleM but no joy. I have a callback scheduled with Apple tomorrow. So far I have spent about 6 hours over five calls doing data dumps and diagnostic logs and sending them. I have an iPad mini 2 and iMac and iPhone 6 with all the latest updates but still no joy neither the mini or phone will sync photos. The mini just stalls after a few pics and the phone only syncs. Half my photos

Dec 11, 2017 4:23 AM in response to pharmercist

Everyone with this problem has put in direct calls to Apple.

One Poster in the other thread I linked has been going back and forth with Apple with NO resolution for 2 months, now.

2 months!!!

I wouldn't expect Apple on your callback to have the answer, either, if I were you!

While your waiting, submit DIRECT feedback on this issue to Apple anyways. In case they STILL don’t give you a resolution!

If everyone continues to constantly hammer Apple’s feedback pages, Apple will get more and more submitted pages of actual written proof that something is wrong with iOS 11, iTunes and photo/image transfers/syncing.

Put in the feedback, anyways!

Good Luck on your callback! I hope for all of us they provide you with a definitive fix and solution.

Jan 23, 2018 8:14 PM in response to Charles Siemen

Still have the same problem. Apple updated iTunes which they thought might fix the probleM but no joy. I have a callback scheduled with Apple tomorrow. So far I have spent about 6 hours over five calls doing data dumps and diagnostic logs and sending them. I have an iPad mini 2 and iMac and iPhone 6 with all the latest updates but still no joy neither the mini or phone will sync photos. The mini just stalls after a few pics and the phone only syncs. Half my

iPad failed to sync photos with Mac on iOS11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.