Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 Plus broken home button

Hi everyone,

I

ve

been

dealing

with

apple

customer

service
I

spent

my
entire

day

today
I

have

an

Iphone
plus
The

phone was in

my

bag

and

I

had

a

phone

call
I

took

my

phone in my bag

and

answered

the

call
After

the

call
there

was a warning

on

the

screen

says
, “
Unable

touch

ID
”.
I

was

what?
?
I

looked

closer

to

the

home

button
there
was

a

small

crack

on

the

home

button
I

didn

t

drop

my
phone

in

any

way
I

took

the

phone

to

apple

store
The
technician

diagnosed

it

and

said

alright
we

are

going to replace

the

home

button

with

display

because

the parts come

together
I

was

that

s

great

thank

you
!
And he got

my

phone

and

suddenly

said

sorry
I

didn

t

see

the
crack

on

your

home

button
we

cannot

replace

it

for

free
you

have

to
$169”
Are

you

serious
???
Firstly, you are telling me it is going to be free and then change your mind?

After that, I also spoke with a store manager. Becasue as soon as I left the store, I chatted with Apple support and they said I should go back and spoke with a store manager. I told what happened to the manager and he refused to believe me. He said, “in my note, the technician didn’t say to you, it’s going to be free, it says on my note that repair cost $169.” He was treating me like I was lying. I didn’t even say sorry for misunderstanding. What kind of customer service is this?

I left embreassed and offended. He was rude and arrogant.

I called apple support also, but nobody helped me. So shame!

This

is
so
frustrating
. So my question is;

Why I have to pay for something that was not my fault, but just bad luck? And they are expecting, I’m gonna pay them $169 after treating me like I’m lying?

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 2:03 PM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2017 8:18 AM in response to cnsbkts

If your iPhone is less than 1 year old it should be covered under the AppleCare+ warranty. You had the option to extend this warranty for an additional year for a total of 2 years from the date of purchase. This warranty also provides coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, BUT those would incur an additional service fee, per incident.

Those fees would be:

• $29 for screen damage
  • $99 for other types of damage

I am assuming the following are true:

1. The $169 amount you quoted is in U.S. Dollars.
  2. Your iPhone is still under the AppleCare+ warranty.

If both are true, that amount that the Apple technician quoted you is in excess of the amount that Apple would charge if they determine that the damage was accidental.

Ref: AppleCare+ for iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 1, 2017 8:03 AM in response to cnsbkts

So. Here’s the reason you have to pay: you home button has a crack in it. That is considered accidental damage, and accidental damage is not covered by the warranty.

And, since the crack is on your Home button, that is 99% likely the reason Touch ID does not work (the crack makes it impossible for the scanner to read your finger print).

The iPhone doesn’t just crack on its own, so whether you realize it or not, you dropped your phone or dropped something else onto the phone. Or someone else did while using your phone. But the bottom line is that crack is why you have to pay.

On the bright side, the repair is only $169 in comparison to paying at least twice that amount to replace the whole thing.

Your options now are to pay the repair fee of $169, deal with the Home button/Touch ID not working, or shell out way more money to buy a new phone.

iPhone 7 Plus broken home button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.