Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

List of file extensions PC > Mac

Where can I find a list of Windows programs file extensions which are convertible to Mac programs?

I'm running a very old PC and am thinking of switching to a Mac. However, I use none of the standard MS products. I know I can convert my Quicken files because there's Quicken for Mac, but what about Corel WordPerfect (file extension .wpd) or QuattroPro (file extension .qpw)?

I use T-Bird for e-mail and that'll be easy to move but I'm concerned about my work files.

Thank you for your help.

PC Windows 98

Posted on Jan 10, 2007 7:38 AM

4 replies

Jan 10, 2007 1:33 PM in response to gsdtoy

It is usually possible to find a working cross-platform solution. First of all, as you have noticed, programs that exist for both Mac and PC are essentially unproblematic (the file format is typically the same, or the programs have built-in conversion facilities). For other programs, study the Save As dialogue box for each PC application. Compare the available file formats to the ones listed under the Open dialogue in a similar Mac program. Try to find a common denominator. Often, generic formats (such as Text, RTF, SYLK) can be used.

Jan

Jan 10, 2007 2:20 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you, Jan.

It sounds as though I may have to through all of those files which have no counterpart program on the Mac and do a 'Save as' with each one. WordPerfect doesn't have a batch processing utility and it is getting increasingly difficult to find stand-alone utilities for Win98.

Does Apple have a conversion utility, do you know? I'm a foreign language translator and I have thousands of text files in WordPerfect format, many of them very precisely formatted to suit a client's specific needs. WordPerfect offers RTF, QuattroPro can save as SYLK - but it still appears to involve converting each and every one.

Please tell me it isn't so.

PC Windows 98

Jan 10, 2007 3:34 PM in response to gsdtoy

It probably depends a bit upon which program(s) you have in mind for the Mac. Try to locate a Mac with the application(s) of interest installed, and then go through the Open dialogue(s), If you are lucky, the exact file format(s) might be present.

Otherwise, you may want to take a look at something like MacLinkPlus (do not forget to check whether the utility is supported on the machine and under the Mac OS version you intend to use).

Good luck!

Jan

List of file extensions PC > Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.