Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 5,1 may require Mac-EFI graphics-card to Install firmware upgrade for High Sierra

Mac Pro 5,1 may require Mac-EFI graphics-card to Install firmware upgrade for High Sierra as reported by chelidon here:

Re: How do I find the Mac Pro 5,1 Mid 2010 firmware latest update

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 7:28 PM

9 replies

Oct 4, 2017 5:00 AM in response to kahjot

Dunno if this helps, but i’ ve been having a bear of a time trying to get it installed on my Mac Pro5.1.

I have a Mac compatible- EFI video card( sapphire Radeon 7950), 26 gigs ram, 2 hard drives in there, and the latest firmware and boot rom versions.OS is 10.12.6 on the main drive and 10.12 on the other one, it’s a 12 core Mac from 2010-2011, haven’t got it to install yet-not for lack of trying though

Still waiting for a bug fix from you-know- who, maybe an explanation.

John B

Oct 4, 2017 8:04 AM in response to Johnb-one

Johnb-one

Mac compatible- EFI video card( sapphire Radeon 7950),

...that card is notorious for having the wrong markings on its on-board switch (EFI, non-EFI). in recent macOS, it is likely to run in either mode.

It may be worth a shot to try the switch in the opposite of its current position (be sure to note the position that is working for you before you start).

Oct 4, 2017 11:37 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Oh my gosh.... holy cow..it’s incredible..it works!! I tip my hat to you Mr. Grant Bennett-Alder. You were absolutely correct, that was what the problem was.I didn’t think that my Mac Pro would boot up with the switch in#1 position, so I left it at#2 position. This has been driving me nuts for 5 days, and now it’s solved. I can’t thank you enough so I’ll just say ‘ many thanks to you’ and wish you a great day

John B

Mac Pro 5,1 may require Mac-EFI graphics-card to Install firmware upgrade for High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.