Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File permission troubles on High Sierra

I've come to find a problem since I upgraded to High Sierra. The last couple of days, as I was organizing some files and folders, some operations like copy and paste, or move, were denied by the OS, with no helpful info in the error dialog or the system log.

Even today, I was trying my hand re-encoding some home videos to HEVC, with QuickTime, and the last two failed. The error message said I didn't have permission to write to that folder (my home folder, so there shouldn't be a problem), but at least it got some useful info.

Repairing the volume in Disk Utility didn't solve the problem, nor restarting Finder. Yesterday I had to reboot the machine to get rid of the problem, and today was the same. The problem appears to be localized to the folders I'm currently working on. Yesterday, the locked folder wouldn't even display its contents, appearing as an empty.

My guess is some issue with read and write privileges on APFS, but I really don't know. Does anyone have experienced this issue? Is there anything that I could do to work around it until Apple fixes it (assuming they are aware of the problem)?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Sep 30, 2017 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply
18 replies

Oct 18, 2017 3:35 PM in response to fan28

Hello there. The solution offered by Barney-15E worked, with no problems ever since. The permissions (or privileges if you will) were changed in under a minute (on my two thirds full 128GB SSD), so I think you got something of an issue there.

In my first try, the very option "Sharing & Permissions" were unavailable. But a forced restart on Finder resolved this issue. As for losing your data, I wouldn't worry about that. It should be completely safe, even though you can't access it, so keep trying.

Oct 18, 2017 4:50 PM in response to osmartormenajr

Thanks! I'm running it on a 3/4 full 2TB HD, so perhaps I shouldn't expect your speed. It is doing something - Finder is staying up there in CPU and memory usage. I was working on something else and attempted to delete a small file, but Finder is still moving that 2 MB file to the trash an hour later.... I also noticed Dropbox started syncing files that I hadn't touched in over a year. That made me think this process might be doing something file by file.

I'm a little worried about how to force stop it if it comes to that, but for now I'm just letting it run.

Nov 14, 2017 2:53 AM in response to Ppaatt

Hi,

I had the same problem with permissions/desktop files disappeard after updating my system to High Sierra.

Steps that worked for me:

1. create another administrator account (u cant do below steps from your corrupted account)

2. log to the new account

3. go to /users right click on the corupted user folder and select Get Info

4. extend permission tab at the bottom. Click on cogwheel and select "apply to enclosed items..."

5. After process finish, you should be able to log to your primary account and everything should work fine.

Hope this help!

Jan 2, 2018 3:38 AM in response to osmartormenajr

I was having a slightly different, but related, problem. I am running macOS 10.13.2 and my startup up disk is using APFS. I have not had file permission problems on this disk but have had random crashes of some of the apps mentioned. I implemented the fix outlined so fingers crossed on this issue.
My problem has been on the permissions of an internal drive (of the spinning disk variety) that I have converted to APFS. I want the resizable volume feature. I backup up using Carbon Copy Cloner (very latest at the time) and reformatted the drive entirely, instead of converting from HFS+ to APFS. I then used CCC to copy my files back across. I have since had problems on some folders where the permissions are set as I need them but I get the 'no entry' sign on the folder. If I double click then I am told that I do not have permissions to open the folder, but strangely if I click the triangle then the files within appear. I then have the same problem with some enclosed folders.

I have since recopied some of the entire folders from my backup to the new APFS volume and the problem has gone away.

This may be a purely CCC problem, but I am not convinced. I will send this to the CCC developers as well.

File permission troubles on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.