Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Randomly stop playing

When I connect my AirPods to my MacBook Air and I start playing music, everything seems fine at first but a few minutes later the music just stops coming out of both AirPods while the MacBook still says the music should be playing. This is interesting as the music is not paused on Spotify itself. This also happens with Youtube, iTunes, etc. When I then disconnect and reconnect the AirPods, I can usually listen for a while before it happens again. Sometimes the AirPods continue playing after approximately 20 seconds of silence, or they don't continue at all. I suspect the Bluetooth to be the issue as it sometimes seems to 'reconnect' and continue to play. Also, the sound seems to 'stutter' sometimes... Any other ideas?

AirPods:

Firmware: 3.7.2

Hardware 1.0.0

MacBook Air: 13" early 2014

OSX: 10.12.5

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 3:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2017 12:02 PM

I am also experiencing this issue, but it only started happening recently -- within the past three or four weeks (end of September or beginning of October).

I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the AirPods from my MacBook, but the issue continues to happen. Interference is not likely to be the issue, because I am using the AirPods in the same physical environment, and under the same physical conditions that I have used them in for the past 6 months, and I had not experienced this problem at any time up until recently.

I updated my MacOS around the same time that this problem started. Perhaps this is merely coincidence?

I hope the issue can be resolved soon, because I enjoy using my AirPods with my MacBook. Although, the amount of joy I experience now is significantly less than it was previously.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inc, Mid 2014)

MacOS Sierra version 10.12.6

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 5.0.5f1

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 28, 2017 12:02 PM in response to chris_g1

I am also experiencing this issue, but it only started happening recently -- within the past three or four weeks (end of September or beginning of October).

I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing the AirPods from my MacBook, but the issue continues to happen. Interference is not likely to be the issue, because I am using the AirPods in the same physical environment, and under the same physical conditions that I have used them in for the past 6 months, and I had not experienced this problem at any time up until recently.

I updated my MacOS around the same time that this problem started. Perhaps this is merely coincidence?

I hope the issue can be resolved soon, because I enjoy using my AirPods with my MacBook. Although, the amount of joy I experience now is significantly less than it was previously.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inc, Mid 2014)

MacOS Sierra version 10.12.6

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 5.0.5f1

Oct 1, 2017 5:42 PM in response to valentijnl

Hi, valentijnl!

Thanks for checking out the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that your AirPods seem to stop playing music after a few minutes of playback. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you have described, it could be possible there is some interference. The following article will provide you with more information on what can cause interference, and how to take care of it: Potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference - Apple Support .

If it's not an interference issue, I would recommend unpairing the AirPods from your MacBook, then repairing them: Use your AirPods - Apple Support .

Have a great day.

Nov 5, 2017 8:27 AM in response to chris_g1

I have this problem as well. I am usually sitting or standing less than 3 feet away from my Macbook Air when my AirPods suddenly go silent. In addition to disconnect and reconnecting, I have tried unpairing and repairing to no avail. It's really frustrating.

Macbook Air (2014)

Generally using Chrome. Not open to using Safari.

AirPods Randomly stop playing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.