Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to effectively rename songs and albums in iTunes (PC)?

Good day, everyone!

I'm sure this topic has already been broached, but I need a quick answer: on both my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 6, I have songs that aren't quite organized the way I'd like them to be, because for some reason, when I transferred them from the CD's they were on, in some cases, the album title wasn't recognized.

I now find myself with "Unknown albums" or "Unknown artists", and, in some cases, with "Track 01", "Track 02", etc... instead of the proper information.

I have tried to right-click on tracks in iTunes, to edit the information, but, a) it didn't work, and b), you can only select one track at a time anyway...

Just to give you one example, in the picture below, the album "Sounds From Nowhereville" was released by The Ting Tings, a band I love, of whom I have three other albums on the same device; by adding the proper Artist information, I'd manage to regroup all albums under the same Artist name, and, hopefully, listen to them in sequence.

I've had issues with syncing my Music library before, when all the music on my devices was wiped out and I had to manually put it back on, so I don't want to go down that route again, especially considering that I don't have any actual backup (I do have a library backup, the XML file, but not the actual songs) handy.

iPhone 6, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 11:24 AM

25 replies

Oct 6, 2017 11:03 AM in response to martin1662

Oh, OK, sorry.

Well, I don't know which category what I'd like to achieve falls in, but I'd simply like to:

1) Change the title name of a couple albums that reside on my iPhone (but not in the iTunes library);

2) Back up the iPhone content on my PC via iTunes (which, as I said earlier, didn't work, because iTunes would only consider some purchases, not music I ripped from CD's);

3) Understand why, every time I try to back up the music that's actually on the phone, iTunes will ask me if I'm sure I want to delete all the music that's on it, and sync it with a library that entirely consists of two measly (purchased) songs...

See the screenshot below (sorry, that's in French), where iTunes only offers to erase the music on the iPhone so that the phone's content mirrors what's in the Library, instead of offering to actually back up the content of the iPhone onto iTunes' Library...

I don't want to have to delete all my music again, then manually point iTunes at the backup folder (again). The music's already on the phone, all I want is for iTunes to incorporate it in its Library.

That's my major gripes with iTunes!

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2017 2:39 AM in response to Gobbledygeek

Gobbledygeek wrote:

As for renaming the songs themselves, directly from Windows Explorer (see comment below), I'd love to, but I can't find the actual copies of my songs in Explorer:

No, that's not what I suggested.

I was suggesting that you check the properties (in other words, what things you are allowed to do to the file) using Windows Explorer. If the file is set to read only, you will not be able to change track information in your iTunes Library, so check to make sure they are not set to read only.

However...

Gobbledygeek wrote:

I've been prompted to sync my Library with the iPhone content, but apparently, only songs purchased (or, in my case, offered; two measly songs in all) via iTunes are stored on my PC hard drive.

The bulk of my music only sits on the iPhone, with no actual backup on the hard drive, it seems,

How can this be so? You previously stated that you import a CD into your iTunes Library, so why is it no longer on your PC? Have you been deleting the music once you put it on your phone? If so, that is a very bad practice.

Gobbledygeek wrote:

Frankly, I think syncing music between iPhone and iTunes is a pain in the rear: there's no easy way to make sure all the songs on the iPhone are actually backed up on the hard drive, apparently, and it makes no sense to me.

Yes there is.

1. Import your music into your iTunes Library, by:
    1. Using iTunes to rip from CD (copy the CD)
    2. Downloading files onto your computer from other sources (this does not add them to your library) and then using File/Add file to Library to add them to iTunes Library. This includes purchases from other stores and free downloads from elsewhere
    3. Sign into your iTunes Store account. (You can leave it signed in all the time if you wish) and use iTunes to purchase music from the iTunes Store. iTunes will download the music to your computer and add it to your iTunes Library
    4. Buying (purchasing) music directly on your iPhone from the iTunes Store and allowing a later Sync between the phone and your iTunes Library to back these up to your computer
  2. Make any changes to track names etc now, before connecting the phone to your iTunes Library. (If you try to do it while the phone is connected, you will almost certainly cause the phone to not be properly updated)
  3. Connect the iPhone to your iTunes Library and let the changes be synchronised
  4. At Sync time, make sure that music purchased directly on the phone appears in your iTunes Library
  5. Once Sync is completed, safely disconnect the phone from the computer.

• The music is now on your phone and backed up on your computer. It is all listed in your iTunes Library.
  • It is the best practice to back up everything on your computer as well.

---------------------------- ----------------------------

Perhaps you have misunderstood the messages you see when you connect your phone to iTunes. Let's go back to the beginning.

I've been prompted to sync my Library with the iPhone content, but apparently, only songs purchased ... via iTunes are stored on my PC hard drive.

The bulk of my music only sits on the iPhone, with no actual backup on the hard drive, it seems,

Are you sure? You said you imported a CD into your iTunes Library and originally you were complaining of tracks being listed as track 01 etc. and your screenshot showed music in your library. So what makes you think otherwise?

Oct 4, 2017 10:40 AM in response to Gobbledygeek

Gobbledygeek wrote:

The issue here is, I can rename the songs, albums and whatnot in the backup folder, but how can I sync the modified folder to my current Library?

I've tried to point iTunes at that folder, but iTunes only offers to import the whole folder, not replace the modified songs/albums,

The use File/Add File to Library, as I suggested previously. That way you can choose the specific song you want, although I thought one of the major problems was that you were unable to change the names.

So, I'm a bit confused...

Gobbledygeek wrote:

I've tried to point iTunes at that folder, but iTunes only offers to import the whole folder, not replace the modified songs/albums, and since the actual songs aren't stored on the PC's hard drive,

It doesn't matter if songs are not on the PC's hard drive, just as long as the drive they are on is powered and ready to read before you start iTunes. If not, iTunes will not find those songs on subsequent start ups.

But it's not just that. In you first post you stated that you had a backup of the xml file, but not the songs. But now you're saying you do have the songs themselves. None of this addresses the original problem you complained about - songs without track names and the fact that you said you could not change the titles. And yet, now you say:

The issue here is, I can rename the songs, albums and whatnot in the backup folder,

whereas before, you couldn't.

I can only assume that the reason you could not change titles is because the files are on a drive which is set to read only, or the files themselves are set to read only. This would make sense if the files are a backup. Often, a backup is a one-time snap shot of a drive and is therefore read only. Further, if you use backup files as your main source, because they are now your only source, then they are no longer a backup.

• First of all, decide where you are going to store all your music; either in one location or several, that's up to you, depending I guess on the capacity of your storage locations.
  • Having decided that, make sure that those locations have write capability, not just read.
  • Make sure you understand the steps I outlined in my previous post about importing music into your iTunes library, using Sync to manage the Library onto a device (such as your iPhone), and the principles of the hard drive being the back up the phone, and the need for a further backup (of your Library, which is on your computer) to another location. Until you understand how this works, you will be chasing your tail trying to manage your music, as you appear to have been doing up to now.
  • Once you understand the above, add any music not already in your iTunes Library by using File/Add File to Library for individual songs, or File/Add Folder to Library for a whole folder of music, as I previously suggested. When using these commands, you simply need to navigate to the location of the stored music, where-ever it is.
  • Remember to backup this Library, by making a copy of your iTunes Folder, including the files that iTunes uses to manage your music.

Oct 1, 2017 1:35 PM in response to Gobbledygeek

It's not clear what you are hoping to achieve since your screenshot shows an album with all the track names and the album name, which is (presumably) what you want.

However, to address the header of your post; How to effectively rename songs and albums in iTunes (PC)? (coupled with your explanation of Track 01, Track 02 etc.), the answer is to make sure that track information is filled in before you copy the CD into your iTunes Library. Note that I've underlined the word effectively, because that is the only effective way to do it. Attempting to rename a whole album once it's in your Library is far from effective. For example, did you miss or not find the other two songs on the album or did you not import them?

iTunes uses an online service to fill in the song titles etc., so your iTunes (and therefore your computer) has to be able to get online to find that information. If you set your iTunes to show the CD before you import it that will allow you to check whether the information has been filled in. To change that preference, in your iTunes, go to Edit/Preferences/General>When you inset a CD and change the option (via the drop-down menu) to Show CD.

As for any albums already imported, you can rename songs in iTunes, you can even rename several tracks in one go - but only fields such as the artist, album title and genre (providing all the songs on the album are the same genre). Obviously, since each track has a different title, the song title has to be done one at a time.

Oct 2, 2017 12:19 AM in response to the fiend

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time.

Actually, I have tried to rename songs (at least fill the Artist name field) in Properties in iTunes, but even though the cursor does blink in the proper field, whatever characters I type just don't appear...

When I imported those songs, along with other CD's, I didn't do anything manually: I put the CD in the tray, it started, iTunes opened and asked if I wanted to import the content of the CD in my Library; I clicked OK, or Yes, I don't remember, and import proceeded, as far as I could tell, without a hitch.

That's only when I synced my Library with the iPhone content that I realized some songs were regrouped in an Unknown artist folder, though the album title was clearly identified.

Right now, if I want to listen to that album, I have to scroll all the way down the Album list, because the Artist name is listed with an interrogation mark...

Oct 2, 2017 12:32 PM in response to Gobbledygeek

Not sure what you mean by changing the artist name in "properties" in iTunes (I don't know where you mean). Usually, it's done by selecting the song (in your iTunes Library) without your device connected, and clicking on Edit/Get Info/General>artist.

If that doesn't work, check the Properties of the file (that song's file) in your file manager (Windows Explorer) and make sure it is not set to Read-only.

Oct 2, 2017 12:54 PM in response to the fiend

further to "the fiend" above...

... it's often easier to click and select all the files you want to edit (cntrl-click for individual songs, shift-click for a group), right click and select "Get Info" or "Song Info" (it changes in iTunes 12.7). Then alter any details you want including adding artwork etc.

i think if you let iTunes manage your music (Edit/Preferences/Advanced - check "Keep Music Organised") - it copies all files to one location and sets them read-write.

Oct 3, 2017 12:11 AM in response to the fiend

Hi,

I'll try to do that later today without the iPhone connected, because maybe that's why I can't change anything in the songs Properties (my PC's in French, so it may be called something else in English).

As for renaming the songs themselves, directly from Windows Explorer (see comment below), I'd love to, but I can't find the actual copies of my songs in Explorer: I've been prompted to sync my Library with the iPhone content, but apparently, only songs purchased (or, in my case, offered; two measly songs in all) via iTunes are stored on my PC hard drive.

The bulk of my music only sits on the iPhone, with no actual backup on the hard drive, it seems, and I know from experience that syncing one with the other will result in my music being wiped out from the iPhone, with only the (free-obtained) songs remaining.

I'd like to avoid that...

Frankly, I think syncing music between iPhone and iTunes is a pain in the rear: there's no easy way to make sure all the songs on the iPhone are actually backed up on the hard drive, apparently, and it makes no sense to me.

Oct 4, 2017 12:46 AM in response to the fiend

Hi,

You are right, I should have known better than to make a long story short...!

Long story is: back in the day, I ripped CD's to the hard drive... Of my 2006 MacBook Pro, back when an iPhone 6 was still supported by the last version of iTunes available for Snow Leopard (my MBP is 32-bit only and cannot be upgraded to Lion and above).

My music library hasn't changed since then: I keep the same songs on both my iPhone 4 and iPhone 6, but can only sync the latter on my Windows 10 PC, since it's not recognized on the MacBook Pro.

Problem is, I once had to put the music back on the iPhone 6 manually (see my previous post) after a failed or misunderstood attempt to sync Library and actual iPhone 6 content, and did so from a backup on a NAS I no longer have access to, because it was part of the setup my then-ISP offered (built-in HDD in French Freebox).

When I returned the hardware to them, I took the precaution to format the NAS HDD, so as not to leave any personal information or data behind, but kept a backup of my music (the actual songs, not just the Library xml file).

The issue here is, I can rename the songs, albums and whatnot in the backup folder, but how can I sync the modified folder to my current Library?

I've tried to point iTunes at that folder, but iTunes only offers to import the whole folder, not replace the modified songs/albums, and since the actual songs aren't stored on the PC's hard drive, I can't even use a third-party program such as Free File Sync or some such thing. I'm pretty sure iTunes would consider my Library as corrupted anyway, if the content changed in between syncs...

Anyway, such is my predicament. I'm opened to any suggestion to solve it, that won't involve buying a new Mac... 😁

Oct 5, 2017 10:05 AM in response to the fiend

You're right, I've been chasing my tail for some time with this, but I really want to correct information on just a few tracks here, so I suppose I'm going to have to do what I've done before when I restored my music onto the iPhone after iTunes deleted it (probably my fault somehow): remove the songs without proper information from the library, close iTunes, go to the backup folder, label them correctly, then point iTunes at the backup folder via the Import to library routine.

In any case, thanks for your help! 😉

Oct 5, 2017 10:27 AM in response to Gobbledygeek

At the risk of confusing what already seems a complicated position - what happens when you right click on a track in iTunes and select "Show in Windows Explorer", or whatever the equivalent is on a Mac - i'm not entirely sure which you are using.

Two choices usually:

1) It opens a explorer window with your files there - and as the fiend says they could be read-only and need to be set read-write if you want to edit - but they are already there.

2) If not in library, it will ask if you want to search/browse for it, in which case you could click on the song in your backup, let iTunes sync to it, (and copy it if you have set iTunes to manage your file structure) and then you can alter any song parameters. iTunes gives an option to try and find any other missing tracks in the same place. If you don't search then it's just a library entry and you can delete and re-import from your backup later.

I don't understand why you would want to correctly label them outside of iTunes - it works but is twice as hard using explorer or whatever. Or am I completely missing the point?

Oct 6, 2017 9:11 AM in response to the fiend

Guys, don't take it the wrong way, because I really appreciate your help here, but if I posted my question and started this discussion, it's because at some point, iTunes malfunctioned and imported mislabelled songs onto my iPhone...

I've done with it for some time, but since the advent of iOS 11.x.x, I can't get the Music.app to play all songs by the same artist, either in sequence or at random, the way I used to in iOS 10.3.x, even if all songs and albums are located within the same folder on the phone.

Now, your albums must be labelled properly for Music.app to play them one after the other. If they aren't, if, say, you've got two albums by the same band, with one bearing the "Unknown Album" label, that album will be ignored when you want to listen to all songs by the same artist; you'll have to play the "Unknown Album" manually, which, more often than not, means fetching the iPhone from your pocket, wake it up, and press Play.

Not ideal, if you ask me.

That's what prompted me to seek help here.

As for iTunes, I've always considered it to be needlessly complicated and counterintuitive to use. I may be wrong, but I really can't wrap my head around it.

For example, how come the offer to sync a library in iTunes with the actual content of the phone can result in the music on said phone being deleted.

Why not the other way around? After all, if that's what I wanted, I would simply delete the music.

Why can't iTunes offer to mirror the content on the phone with that in the Library?

Why make it so difficult to add music onto the phone? I understand the copyright issues and all that, but still, it should really be as simple as drag-and-drop, the way it was in iTunes 10.x on Snow Leopard, last time I restored the music on the iPhone after iTunes simply deleted it...

So, yeah, I really appreciate your trying to help me, but the way iTunes works (and the new "features" added to Music.app in iOS 11) really go against my instincts when it comes to managing music on the iPhone.

How to effectively rename songs and albums in iTunes (PC)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.