Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FTP on High Sierra

Hi, unfortunately I'm not satisfied about the new OS High Sierra. I'm a professional photographer and I can't use the WFT-E8 on my DSLR. I've the FTPD Enable app that helps me to transfer photos from DSLR to a Mac using ftp way. But with High Sierra that app not run and I can't work perfectly. There is another way for creating a server ftp?

Thank you

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 1:48 AM

As you see below I had the same problem, could not connect to transfer things from my scanner. I worked with an Apple Senior Tech Support and they had some really simple ideas to get it to work.

He helped me set up this app ($2.99) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ftp-server/id987045856?mt=12

It sets up a really simple FTP server right out of the box. I put a screenshot here so you can see it. Just choose the folder you would like to use as the root folder for your files, then put a folder inside that folder for whatever you need.

The only thing is that you can't use port 21 anymore, so we used 2121. Then just go to your hardware (DSLR, Scanner, Printer, whatever it is) and set it up to use an anonymous FTP account with no password, with the destination folder set to the name of the folder you made above, and set the port to 2121. That worked for me!

Here is a screenshot of how simple it is.

User uploaded file

Hope it works for you!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2017 1:48 AM in response to lore92

As you see below I had the same problem, could not connect to transfer things from my scanner. I worked with an Apple Senior Tech Support and they had some really simple ideas to get it to work.

He helped me set up this app ($2.99) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ftp-server/id987045856?mt=12

It sets up a really simple FTP server right out of the box. I put a screenshot here so you can see it. Just choose the folder you would like to use as the root folder for your files, then put a folder inside that folder for whatever you need.

The only thing is that you can't use port 21 anymore, so we used 2121. Then just go to your hardware (DSLR, Scanner, Printer, whatever it is) and set it up to use an anonymous FTP account with no password, with the destination folder set to the name of the folder you made above, and set the port to 2121. That worked for me!

Here is a screenshot of how simple it is.

User uploaded file

Hope it works for you!

Oct 3, 2017 5:12 PM in response to leroydouglas

I saw this article too. It does not actually help with the FTP issue, the facts are wrong.

If you scroll to the very bottom of the comments you see this exchange outlining that you cannot get FTP to work from terminal in High Sierra anymore:

USER:

sharing -a /Shares/Public -F PUBLIC doesn't seem to work for me. What am I missing?

AUTHOR

Actually looking at the man page, "-F" is no longer an option in High Sierra. 😟

Oct 9, 2017 6:21 AM in response to Tim Quinlan

Tim Quinlan wrote:

....No downgrade option to Sierra either.

I hope Apple is listening.

If you had a Time Machine backup or a clone (as you should if

you are using a computer for business), you can restore your system to

a point before you upgraded to High Sierra. Also, as a business owner,

it is mandatory to investigate your current system compatibilities with

any major system upgrade.

Nov 20, 2017 9:52 PM in response to Tim Quinlan

Currently on a new macbook with 10.13.1

I paid and downloaded the apple ftp server app from the apple store

Enter Port 21 in the software program as per above pic

(For some reason, port 2121 wouldn't work)

And Port 21 was only enabled somewhere around November 18,

see https://langui.net/ftp-server

For Sharp MFD, enter the address as 192.168.1.X:21 in the IP address

X being the designated IP number of your laptop that you assigned under TCP/IP settings

Just done some scans from MX-2310U to the macbook via wireless network and its working fine.

FTP on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.