Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fs tree invalid on APFS

hello,

while doing a first-aid check on my macOS APFS volume, I get the following message in the details as it scans the volume. it is

Checking the fsroot tree.

error: drec_val object (oid 0x51b169): invalid type (0)

fsroot tree is invalid.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be verified completely.

can anyone who's knowledgeable with this type of error provide some info about what this error is, whether it's a concern or not ?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.4), 2.0 GHz/16GB/256GB

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 3:41 PM

32 replies

Oct 8, 2017 6:44 AM in response to zero7404

The subject line is misleading—fsroot tree

I had to go back to the top to read

error: drec_val object (oid 0x51b169): invalid type (0)

fsroot tree is invalid.

To Answer your question corrupt APFS

You can read several reference to problems in the Beta:

APFS Brand new filesystem corruption | Apple Developer Forums

https://swissmacuser.ch/solution-fixing-macos-highsierra-apfs-issue-fsroot-tree- invalid-in-beta-17a315i/#.WdopwIZrzOQ

Oct 10, 2017 6:22 AM in response to virgosun

not being able to boot is a bit drastic, i don't know what the fsroot tree is or what it manages.

i am able to boot and don't see any signs of an issue other than the message when doing a first aid, thankfully.

but there is something wrong with the fs, that should be addressed - whether there is a program causing it or something with the OS. at this point I don't know.

Nov 3, 2017 12:30 PM in response to zero7404

Installed High Sierra twice on a Macbook Air 11inch 2010 and Macbook Air 13 inch mid 2013. No problem at all.

Today i installed high Sierra for the first time on my Macbook pro mid 2011 with 1TB SSD. First-aid check is way to fast done in less then two seconds. Having a closer look i see:

error: drec_val object (oid 0x2): invalid type (0)

fsroot tree is invalid.

Same as the topic starter.

Is it a concern or not?

I just found this: https://swissmacuser.ch/solution-fixing-macos-highsierra-apfs-issue-fsroot-tree- invalid-in-beta-17a315i/#.WfzDcbZx_OR

Dec 1, 2017 12:57 PM in response to mentzos

Same configuration, same problem

MackBook Pro 13 late 2010, Samsung SSD 250Go

fsroot tree error, and system is taking all available space, letting me 1Go free space (on 250Go, 230Go taken by system)

I've try to make big file with mkfile, the system allowed it, but when i delete them, freed space goes back to system.

No more disk capacity to make updates too

Dec 4, 2017 5:48 AM in response to Bartdeus

I got the exact same error when running Disk Utility on my MBP 15-in. (2016) after upgrading my OS to High Sierra 10.13.1. After applying the "root" security fix, on reboot my laptop just hung for about 20 minutes before I had to do a forced shutdown. Thankfully it rebooted and seemed to run okay afterwards. However, doing a Disk Utility First Aid check reported that the "fsroot tree is invalid". Hopefully, Apple will develop a fix to correct this issue (if in fact it is a critical issue) before it degrades my file system even more.

Dec 4, 2017 2:50 PM in response to preak

ive not had extreme issues so far, though the problem shouldnt be ignored, sounds like others have lost functionality thats significant.

im surprised apple has not already fixed this. puts into question whether its been reported or other.

i dont like the idea of having disk related issues if something goes wrong, i could lose my installation. even with frequent backups of my data, my needs for using a computer right now cannot afford the downtime i’d encounter from a failure.

Dec 13, 2017 5:46 AM in response to zero7404

same problem as op after I went from Sierra to High Sierra (and therefore APFS) on a 13” Early-215 MBP (Bootcamped) a few days ago

disk utility can’t run in recovery or otherwise, always reporting “fsroot tree is invalid”. I get “error: drec_val object (oid 0x200be4): invalid type (0)” as the error myself

I'm also finding a few random error 43 permissions problems on my files and found files where the permissions had been wiped, There was nothing wrong with permissions or disk before installing High Sierra

I’d like to know if waiting for Apple is an option, or if Apple now won’t be able to fix my drive, so I have no option but to wipe and rebuild?

swissmacuser has apple acknowledge a bug related to this: https://swissmacuser.ch/macos-highsierra-beta4-17a315i-breaks-apfs-formatted-dri ve-issue/#comment-91344

so what is bug 33949235 and what is its status?

Dec 14, 2017 5:34 AM in response to zero7404

It's seems that the upgrade from the previous FS to APFS via high sierra upgrade cause the problem on non-apple disk (SSD only ??).

I've try something that have might work:

- make a bootable backup of disk with Copy Carbon (that take only the good files, so the good file size)

- boot on backup

- format completely my SSD and make a new APFS partition

- restore backup on it

- boot normaly on SSD

and now every things seems ok. No more space taken by the system so long (1 week).

Remember that your are responsible of your data by doing this, take good care to make more than one backup of your files

Dec 14, 2017 10:57 AM in response to Drewbster

Update:

After installing the latest update (10.13.2) on Dec. 11, the error has now been fixed on my MBP (2016). When running First Aid in Disk Utility, I now get the following report:

Verifying file system.

Volume could not be unmounted.

Using live mode.

Performing fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Checking volume.

Checking the container superblock.

Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

Checking the space manager.

Checking the object map.

Checking the APFS volume superblock.

Checking the object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the extent ref tree.

Checking the snapshots.

Verifying allocated space.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 appears to be OK.

File system check exit code is 0.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

Operation successful.

Hope the 10.13.2 works for everybody else.

Jan 26, 2018 1:57 AM in response to zero7404

It was the last backup before I discovered the issue - literally from two hours earlier having spent the two hours trying to find a solution.

The issue occurred when upgrading to 10.13.3, which was the version that was restored - so the same High Sierra version. I only restored the system snapshot and not the whole volume, so no erasing and no lengthy process. Less than five minutes.

I guess I could have gone back to 10.13.2 backup but in my case there was no need.

fs tree invalid on APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.