You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K disrupts internet connection

I bought the new Apple TV 4K on Friday. The device is connected to a wired internet and my TV. Since Friday evening when I got my Apple TV 4K, I've experienced internet disruption.

The disruptions always seem to happen when I use my Apple TV. The disruption happens quite randomly, as short as 5 minutes or as long as 3 hours after watching Netflix, HBO or any app. Once the ethernet stops working, the wifi stops working too. The lights on the modem are all green but there is no internet. The only solution is to reboot the modem.

When I do not use the Apple TV 4K, I see no disruption. This did not happen with the previous generation of Apple TV.

I first thought it was my AT&T Uverse modem. So, I got it changed this morning. But the issue seems to persist. Any ideas as to why this happens?

Some relevant information:

• TV: Samsung UHD TV
  • Apple TV 4K 32 GB
  • AT&T Uverse 45 Mbps internet
  • AT&T Arris modem
  • HDR+ setting on Samsung TV through Apple TV.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 13.3 inches macbook pro

Posted on Oct 1, 2017 6:37 PM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2017 6:09 PM in response to Southgtlman

Hi. Apple TV has a history of trouble with its ethernet connection in some situations, see link: AppleTV 3 floods DHCP when ethernet connected. I know my Apple TV 4 does this. If your device works fine over WiFi, but not over ethernet, check the router logs for unusual activity coming from Apple TV. You should all report this to Apple at this link: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple.

Oct 5, 2017 9:10 AM in response to singlebinary

Me too, load times are quicker and there is almost no buffering when going through wifi instead, which is a bummer because i prefer the straight connection to the ethernet cable (so i can take advatage of the gigablast speeds).

My internet locks up too for other devices. Initially i thought it was a faulty ethernet port stalling my network, but i think its a software bug.

Hopefully apple fixes this soon...

Apple TV 4K disrupts internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.