Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to view all unnamed faces

I'm trying to work out how to view all the unnamed faces in photos version 3.0 so that I can name them and have albums for the faces. At the moment the only way I can see how to do it is to go through each individual photo. I remember iPhoto having this feature.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13), Photos Version 3.0

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 12:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 3:32 AM

As a possible workaround

Set up a smart album with person contains <letter>

1. Create a smart album
  2. Create a rule for "Person" -> "does not include" -> "a"
  3. Repeat for each letter of the alphabet
  4. Add a rule for photos tagged with some phrase that allows you to exclude them, I created and used a tag called "No People" and assigned it to photos that didn't have any people in them so they didn't show up.

There's a screenshot of my rule below. One drawback of this approach is it will exclude photos with multiple people in them if any of the people are named, I have approx 40 000 photos in my library and the smart album opens in less than 1 second.

User uploaded file

Alternate approach

1. Create a normal album and call it something like "Named"
  2. Select "People" album in the sidebar, and then select all
  3. Drag the selected people into the "Named" album
  4. Create a smart album with a rule "Album" -> "is not" -> "Named".

This will be quicker initially than the first option above, but with the drawback that you'll need to recreate the "Named" album once you've assigned names to the photos in the smart album, whereas the first option takes more time to set up initially but will then be a smart album without a static element that needs manual updating.

Hope this helps, and let's hope apple addresses this functionality deficit soon.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2017 3:32 AM in response to csjdoggett

As a possible workaround

Set up a smart album with person contains <letter>

1. Create a smart album
  2. Create a rule for "Person" -> "does not include" -> "a"
  3. Repeat for each letter of the alphabet
  4. Add a rule for photos tagged with some phrase that allows you to exclude them, I created and used a tag called "No People" and assigned it to photos that didn't have any people in them so they didn't show up.

There's a screenshot of my rule below. One drawback of this approach is it will exclude photos with multiple people in them if any of the people are named, I have approx 40 000 photos in my library and the smart album opens in less than 1 second.

User uploaded file

Alternate approach

1. Create a normal album and call it something like "Named"
  2. Select "People" album in the sidebar, and then select all
  3. Drag the selected people into the "Named" album
  4. Create a smart album with a rule "Album" -> "is not" -> "Named".

This will be quicker initially than the first option above, but with the drawback that you'll need to recreate the "Named" album once you've assigned names to the photos in the smart album, whereas the first option takes more time to set up initially but will then be a smart album without a static element that needs manual updating.

Hope this helps, and let's hope apple addresses this functionality deficit soon.

Oct 2, 2017 2:12 AM in response to csjdoggett

Photos 3.0 does not give you access to a list of unnamed faces.

You are supposed to start from the People album.

• Open the album for each person and click "Confirm additional faces" to add more faces of this person.
  • If a person does not yet have a people album, use one of the photos of this person to type a name below the faces circle. After that you can use "Confirm additional faces", starting from the album.

Feb 2, 2018 6:33 AM in response to léonie

This only works if Photos gives you the right choices and tags your person in the photo. I often can see the person I am trying to tag in the photo but a different person is highlighted. Photos won't let you adjust the highlight. That would make things so much easier. Also, being able to see photos with Unnamed people in them would be extremely helpful. Finally, I've noticed you can't delete Unnamed rings on the photo you don't want to use. There is no X. It seems that Photos is going backwards instead of forward. They are making the application useless. Does anyone know a better photos package that does all of this well? I'd be willing to switch.

Feb 10, 2018 3:28 AM in response to vivianbep

This is beyond annoying, why did they delete this feature?

My guess is, that Apple removed the list of unnamed faces in High Sierra, because it is totally unusable in a large library, now that we can no longer delete the faces that we do not want. Previously, in Photos 1 and 2, the list of unnamed faces has been nice and easy to use. We could prune it and keep it small by deleting all automatically detected faces that were no faces at all are the faxes of unknown strangers.

After the update to macOS 10.12.5, when Apple removed the ability to delete any automatically detected faces, my library with roughly 50000 photos had a list of more than 15000 unnamed faces, and 99% of them were faces that were of no interest to me. It was nearly impossible to find the few faces that I wanted to name in this horrible list. like seeking a needle in a haystack.

As long as Apple does no longer allow us to remove the faces we do not care about, there is no point in offering a list of unnamed faces, at least not for the whole library.

How to view all unnamed faces

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.