Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Ghost" Guest User Account

Hey!

I recently purchased a used MBP and did a fresh (format hard drive + boot disk) install of OS X High Sierra. I am currently showing version 10.13. The format was with APFS (Encrypted.)

Since installing High Sierra I have noticed a strange Guest User icon on the boot screen. It is not the same as a normal Guest User, and clicking on it opens a dialog for a password (my account password and my disk password do not work here.)

User uploaded file

Here is the icon that I am talking about. If you zoom in on this image you will see that there is actually some slight noise to the icon like you would see on an older TV. There is no movement to the icon, but the noise in the icon image changes every time I reboot the computer.

I do not have a guest user account enabled. See below.

User uploaded file

Above is a screen capture of my users and groups. I have tried turning the guest user on and off and restarting my computer many times to see if it's just stuck somehow. No luck.

User uploaded file

Above is what it looks like when I have the guest user turned on. As you can see, the icon is correct and clicking it properly restarts the computer in "Safari Only" mode.

Thanks in advance for any help, this is quite frustrating.

Grady

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2017 9:57 AM

Hello Grady,

I talked to a senior advisor @ Apple this morning, and he walked me through fixing this problem:

Open Terminal from Spotlight:

Once there type the following sudo command:

sudo fdesetup remove -user Guest

then, enter your password the you use to log in to your system as an administrator, and press the Return key

Finally, Restart the computer, and the icon will be gone.

Hopes this helps everyone with the same problem.

Sincerely,

Renzzo

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2017 9:57 AM in response to NOTashwin

Hello Grady,

I talked to a senior advisor @ Apple this morning, and he walked me through fixing this problem:

Open Terminal from Spotlight:

Once there type the following sudo command:

sudo fdesetup remove -user Guest

then, enter your password the you use to log in to your system as an administrator, and press the Return key

Finally, Restart the computer, and the icon will be gone.

Hopes this helps everyone with the same problem.

Sincerely,

Renzzo

Oct 5, 2017 7:05 PM in response to Grady Stebbins

You have created a new user account , by entering into users and groups opening the padlock by entering the admin name and password , clicking on plus sign and creating as admin or standard account ( filled up a new name and password ) .For example " previous " .And checked the boxes as shown in the picture .

User uploaded file

Then logged out from your original Amin account , by taking cursor on apple logo and log out from your original admin account .

Then , it will prompt to enter your new admin account name and password , in the example the name is " previous " .

Thats the reason in login window , you can see your original admin name ( you must have saved the photo ) , and also the the new account named " previous " .

Its your decision to keep the new account or if you want to delete it , select it and click on minus sign , a window appears , select the option delete the home folder , click on delete user .

User uploaded file

Same way , select " previous " public folder and delete .

User uploaded file

Oct 5, 2017 6:24 PM in response to Grady Stebbins

credit to here4evr and sequential on How can I turn off the 'Other' user login in High Sierra GM? | MacRumors Forums

I followed the root login and delete guest, it works on mine.

Thank you!!! However, you must first enable the root account using the instructions here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204012, log out of the admin account, log in with the newly enabled root account, open terminal, VERY CAREFULLY enter "dscl localhost delete /Local/Default/Users/Guest" exactly (without the quotation marks), log out of root, DISABLE the root account using the reverse procedure above, and all is good in the High Sierra world again regarding the ghost guest account with the artifact icon.

Nov 6, 2017 10:29 AM in response to Grady Stebbins

Thank you for the solution.

However, I also had a fresh reinstall and it should not have done that as I did not migrate anything. 'Why' is the operative word for me. Is this normal?

It would appear that others have this issue too, so I guess it's not a hacker at least.

Still I want to know - WHY? What is the cause? It is the only way to prevent the issue in the future and if anyone can answer this, I would appreciate it very much.

"Ghost" Guest User Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.