Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to connect my LTE Apple Watch three to my Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth. It goes through the motions and even asks me whether the passcode/pin codes are matching but nothing is able to be completed

Trying to set up LTE enabled Apple Watch three to my car‘s Bluetooth in the same way you pair the iPhone. It recognizes in the center consul that an Apple Watch is trying to pair and then asks me if the PIN code matches that of the watch. I press OK on both devices but then, the car’s console spits out another PIN code and asks me whether that matches. This process continues automatically (Asking me if different PINs match that of the watch even before the watch hasn’t cycled through the last request)three times or so then says that authorization fails. Tried innumerable times. It would only make sense that since the watch is touted as an independent cellular device that it should be able to make and initiate phone calls in the car through the cabin speaker in the same way that an iPhone can. Any advice?

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 1:22 PM

That's a current limitation, but not how it could be. I want to be able to leave my phone at home and still make calls, listen to music or podcasts through my car from my watch. It all already works through my Bluetooth headphones, why not car Bluetooth?

22 replies

Oct 18, 2017 1:33 PM in response to RDHMD

Having the same issue. 2017 Subaru Outback Limited

Being able to receive calls when I am away from my phone is great, because I am always forgetting it at home or in my office, however, if I am in the car it isn’t so great when it doesn’t go through the hands free system I am used to.

Also, as an additional note - my car does have Apple CarPlay & the most recent software updates.

Oct 20, 2017 2:18 PM in response to KiltedTim

If the purpose of Watch Three is to communicate independently of iPhone (hence the motivation to purchase a phone with cellular capability), a consumer would have wished for the watch to be able to communicate using Carplay via Bluetooth. Unexpected disappointment with this limitation and would anticipate this functionality to be integrated in the future.

Oct 30, 2017 5:02 PM in response to RDHMD

Same issue with new BMW 430xi with CarPlay. No Bluetooth with watch 3 in the car, just an error message after the car and the watch both recognize each other and request code confirmation of identical code. I can call Outer Mongolia (ok, I haven't actually tried) with the watch, but can't get a Bluetooth connection in my car?

Nov 8, 2017 9:14 AM in response to RDHMD

So, if you haven’t already tried this you might like to give it a go! I read in this thread how Watch users are frustrated that they couldn’t connect to their car Bluetooth to manage calls and music. I just did. As long as my phone isn’t connected via usb, only Bluetooth, then I can instruct Siri on my watch to find music or make calls and it uses the phone connection to do so through the cars system. This is brilliant and makes driving so much safer. The only downside is that I’ll have to use the cigar socket to power the phone rather than the usb. My car is a 2016 BMW 520 Luxury with Professional Navigation interface.

Nov 8, 2017 10:48 AM in response to RayHogarth

Hi Ray, yes I get that particularly if you forget your phone or want to leave it at home (assuming you have Watch 3 cellular). I’ve just acquired both the Watch 3 and the iPhone X and when I first tried the Watch in the car it didn’t play through the Cars system. I then realised that I hadn’t paired the new phone; now it works a treat other than if I plug the phone into the usb socket such that it can charge, the car then defaults to usb and ignores Bluetooth.

Nov 8, 2017 8:01 PM in response to stevefromwhitecroft

The whole point of the Watch 3 is that it shouldn't need the phone. Your trick still requires the phone to be present (If I have my phone with me anyway then why would I want to use the watch as my source?). That isn't what anyone here is trying to do. We should be able to pair our watches to our cars and leave the phones home. Apple really needs to fix this.

Nov 8, 2017 11:34 PM in response to Skippy1977

Hi, yes I did understand the point being made in fact I’ve forwarded that feedback and suggestions to Apple. I was just highlighting that there is a solution to operating the audio and phone functions via Bluetooth using the Watch, and the main point here is that that is much safer than trying to use the phone which is stored in a compartment in the car. Hopefully Apple can come up with the solution rather than it have to be the car maker.

Trying to connect my LTE Apple Watch three to my Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth. It goes through the motions and even asks me whether the passcode/pin codes are matching but nothing is able to be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.