Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock icon with password box, and I don't remember the password.

When I turn my MacBook Air on, a white file icon with a question mark was flashing. So I turned off and turned back again with Command + R. Now threre is a lock icon. And I don't remember the password. What can I do now? Please give me any advice!

Posted on Oct 2, 2017 11:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 12:38 AM

A lock icon indicates a firmware password is set on your Mac. You might see the lock icon at startup if you try to start your Mac from another volume like an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter your firmware password to continue starting up.

If you didn't set a firmware password yourself, it might be set remotely by someone who gained access to your Apple ID account. In that case, or when you simply forgot your passcode, schedule a service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2017 12:38 AM in response to Kikiboomer

A lock icon indicates a firmware password is set on your Mac. You might see the lock icon at startup if you try to start your Mac from another volume like an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter your firmware password to continue starting up.

If you didn't set a firmware password yourself, it might be set remotely by someone who gained access to your Apple ID account. In that case, or when you simply forgot your passcode, schedule a service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Lock icon with password box, and I don't remember the password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.