Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update iPad with iOS 9.3.5 to iOS 11...?

iPad Mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 9:59 PM

Depends on what iPad model you have, if you are using iPad mini 1st Gen, it’s not going to support it. If your pulling up software update in settings and it’s not showing you there is an update available it most likely means your device can’t support it. However if you want to see the list of compatible devices you can go here and scroll toward the bottom, there is a list of all compatible devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2017 9:59 PM in response to Berzelii12

Depends on what iPad model you have, if you are using iPad mini 1st Gen, it’s not going to support it. If your pulling up software update in settings and it’s not showing you there is an update available it most likely means your device can’t support it. However if you want to see the list of compatible devices you can go here and scroll toward the bottom, there is a list of all compatible devices.

Oct 3, 2017 10:16 PM in response to Berzelii12

The iPad 2, 3 and 1st generation iPad Mini are all ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 10.

They all share similar hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 Ghz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10.

Why would you want to upgrade, anyways?

Since iOS 8, older iPad models such as the iPad 2, 3, 4 and the original iPad Mini have only been getting the most basic of iOS features.

Older iPad users get none of the newest and coolest cutting edge features that newer model iDevices, with better hardware specs, can handle with more aplomb.

FYI,

Just because your 1st gen iPad Mini is no longer able to upgrade to the latest iOS doesn't mean your 1st gen iPad Mini is suddenly useless.

So, your options are really keep using your 1st gen iPad Mini or purchase a new iPad if you feel you need or want to.

Your current 1st gen iPad Mini will still work and continue to receive app updates until sometime this Fall 2017, when, with the introduction of iOS 11, ALL support for older 32 bit iDevices and any iOS 32 bit apps will come to a final end.

Your 1st gen iPad Mini will still work and function as it always has, but will no longer receive any more app updates after some time in the Fall of 2017.

The 1st gen iPad Mini has had 4-5 years of iOS upgrades/updates

The final app updates your 1st gen iPad Mini will receive will be its last!

Currently, your 1st gen iPad Mini is STILL receiving app updates. Look for this to change sometime in the near future

This is why Apple introduced the new, lower cost 2017 iPad 5 model, in April

Apple is trying to get older iPad 2, 3, 4 and 1st gen Mini iPad users to upgrade to more modern iPad hardware in anticipation of iOS 11, which will render all older 32 bit iDevices obsolete.

Good Luck to You!

Oct 3, 2017 3:44 PM in response to Berzelii12

Hi Berzelii12,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! I understand you'd like to update your iPad. I'm happy to provide some information to help.

Depending on your model iPad, you may be able to update if it meets the minimum requirements for iOS 11. iOS 11 Requires iPhone 6s or later, iPad Pro, iPad (5th generation), iPad Air 2, or iPad mini 4.
iOS 11 - Apple

If your iPad meets the minimum requirements to update to iOS 11, you can follow the steps in the following article to update:
Update the iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Cheers!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.