Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade Graphics Card

Hi,

I just bought a new video game that I assumed my Macbook would be able handle (Hearts of Iron 4), but it has an issue with the power of the graphics card. I want to look into upgrading my graphics card, but I'm not sure whether that's possible / how to do that with my laptop. Can you advise?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), graphics card

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 11:01 AM

You need need to check the hardware requirements before to buy a software/game.

Changing the internal Graphic Card of a notebook is not possible. If you have the latest MacBook Pro you can use probably an external one.

3 replies

Oct 3, 2017 11:01 AM in response to getangar

Ah bummer. The graphics card went obsolete in 1 year.

Yes, I now realize I need need to check the hardware requirements of any piece of software before purchasing. The game was 1 year older than my Macbook, and doesn't appear to have sophisticated graphics (it's a map-based grand strategy game), so I assumed it would be fine. This is apparently not the case. Thank you.

I don't think I have the latest Macbook Pro. As indicated in my post, here's the Macbook I have:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Oct 3, 2017 11:12 AM in response to Expwy

while there is no way to upgrade whats in there (without causing a headache you don't want to cause) there are a number of 3rd party external GPU solutions or Mac computers, many of which can exceed the limits of most if not all gaming laptops.

BIZON – United States | External graphics card (eGPU) for Apple MacBook, Mac Pro, mac mini, iMac. EGPU. eGFX USB-C GPU D…

and you don't need the latest mac to run this, many older macs have an external solution available to them.

Upgrade Graphics Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.