Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight does not work in High Sierra

After upgrading to High Sierra, my Spotlight search does not work. It seems that the index needs to rebuild, but I cannot find any instructions for how to do so anywhere.

Please help!

(iMac 2017)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x), 32GB Ram, 3TB Fusion Disk

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 10:16 AM

Open System Preferences : Spotlight : Privacy. Drag your Macintosh HD boot drive icon from the Desktop onto this Spotlight privacy window. Wait 10 seconds, and then drag it back out of the privacy window. This will trigger Spotlight to reindex your boot drive.

35 replies

Dec 31, 2017 3:07 AM in response to Sitara

I fixed this issue for sure in 10.13.2 macOS High Sierra:

Open Terminal

Show hidden files in finder with defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch

Navigate in finder to the root volume (Macintosh HD)

Delete .metadata_never_index

Delete immediately in Trash

In Terminal: sudo mdutil -i on /

Oct 3, 2017 1:10 PM in response to Sitara

Launch Disk Utility, and run First Aid against your boot drive. Launch Activity Monitor. Look for process names: mds, mdworker. As long as these are running, and multiples are normal, your drive is being re-indexed. A 2TB drive will not finish indexing in 5 minutes unless there are drive errors.

Also, open your Console app and look at the bottom-most log entries to see if there are fatal errors with mds, or mdworker processes.

Sparkleberry's suggestion is valid too.

Dec 23, 2017 9:07 PM in response to Bob Jacobson

By now you've had a chance to install the new, presumably debugged High Sierra OS. I did that, then set Spotlight to index my entire HD. Which it did, in about 13 hours. It's a wonder to see all the worker routines busily arranging the new Index. And now, everything works! My Mac and especially important to me, my Mail and Contacts are indexed, also. I'm a happy camper again.

Jan 30, 2018 4:07 AM in response to Fritztz

So, if you've done the dragging your disk into that spotlight privacy tab and back out and it hasn't worked, you likely only have to do one step of the Terminal bit, which is NOT frightening or risky.

Just launch Terminal (one way is Finder > Go > Utilities, and click on Terminal)

Then paste in this:
sudo mdutil -i on /

It will ask you for your password, when you type it in you won't see the cursor moving, just hit enter when you are done. This will then turn the indexing on for the drive.

Mar 21, 2018 6:03 PM in response to Mrcturner

Hi Mrcturner.

DONE Show hidden files in finder with defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

DONE Hold the 'Option/alt' key, then right click on the Finder icon in the dock and click Relaunch

DONE Navigate in finder to the root volume (Macintosh HD)

CANNOT FIND THE FILE Delete .metadata_never_index

Delete immediately in Trash

So, should I just do this command:

Many thanks.

Apr 26, 2018 6:13 PM in response to Sitara

From my point of view, why does Spotlight when you type in indexing no longer show it as it used to with an assessment of the time that it will take and then the blue bar wavering until it is done? At present it takes 3 minutes and then there is a funny little red symbol saying indexing which is not convincing. Why is indexing so hard to do and see? It is a valid process, but is always long winded process to set up in terms of opening system preferences>Spotlight>Privacy, + hard drive> - hard drive, and then opening Spotlight from the top menu bar and typing "indexing" into it. Why all the mucking about to instigate a process that we are recommended to apply once per month? And now it seems to be hidden. I personally do not want to open up Activity Monitor to see something that was easier to see in the past. Why do Apple keep removing useful features?

Spotlight does not work in High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.