Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Wake Up Screen Glitch

After I upgraded to High Sierra, when I wake up my mac from sleep, the screen glitches and displays weird colors, but it's only a flash (0.5 seconds).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 3, 2017 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2017 1:35 AM

Seeing as I can't edit my post: disregard that Aerials idea. I thought it had something to do with the screensaver being turned on.

So far I am only able to reproduce the problem when the display has been off for a while. It does not matter whether the MacBook is waking up from sleep. Also, I say "off for a while", because it doesn't happen when I switch off the display (using hot corners) and immediately press on a button.

Through this reddit post I learned that it's apparently a Metal 2 Issue. I am not aware of any official word from Apple whether they're working on it.

Does anyone think wiping the SSD and restoring from a Time Machine back up would help? (not talking about a fresh install)

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2017 1:35 AM in response to ThomasMNL

Seeing as I can't edit my post: disregard that Aerials idea. I thought it had something to do with the screensaver being turned on.

So far I am only able to reproduce the problem when the display has been off for a while. It does not matter whether the MacBook is waking up from sleep. Also, I say "off for a while", because it doesn't happen when I switch off the display (using hot corners) and immediately press on a button.

Through this reddit post I learned that it's apparently a Metal 2 Issue. I am not aware of any official word from Apple whether they're working on it.

Does anyone think wiping the SSD and restoring from a Time Machine back up would help? (not talking about a fresh install)

Nov 1, 2017 11:02 AM in response to RoastedTaco

Glad I found his thread as was driving me nuts!!

I too noticed this today on my MBPro 2015 Retina. Never noticed it before upgrading today. but

If I go to sleep mode and then wakeup after 30 seconds or 1 min, I see a split second distorted version of the apple logo and whatever windows are open at the time. It then flips back to normal and all is ok and fine. But like the OP said. If I too hit sleep and wakeup the machine up straight away - it's fine. Definitely happens only when sleep mode has been for more than 10 seconds or so...

Are Apple aware of this?

Nov 25, 2017 3:46 AM in response to RoastedTaco

Possible Solution:

I had a chat with Apple support and they made me reset SMC. Since then, I have not faced the issue, in hope its gone for good.

For the MacBook:

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.

3. If you have a MacBook Pro with Touch ID, the Touch ID button is also the power button.

4. Release all keys.

For the iMac:

1. Shut down your Mac.

2. Unplug the power cord.

3. Wait 15 seconds.

4. Plug the power cord back in.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

Oct 16, 2017 2:04 AM in response to ThomasMNL

Hi,

Exactly the same issue for me on my retina MacBook Pro 13" since the update to High Sierra (10.13 v. 17A405).

I have done a clean install and the issue persists again for me.

Happy to hear that this could be just a Metal 2 issue, and not a physical problem on my computer.

I would add that, on a MacBook Pro late 2011, updated from Sierra to High Sierra (without clean install) there is no problem at all... Maybe Metal 2 compatibility is not allowed on this old machine and so no issue like this.

Nov 14, 2017 8:01 AM in response to RoastedTaco

Thank you so much for posting this. I actually did that chat thing with apple troubleshooting, nothing worked. They then said it needs to looked at incase it is a hardware issue. I highly believe it is a software issue. I wish I could go back in a time warp and not have downloaded this new OS.

We pay so much money for these laptops, yet, this stuff happens.

Anyone know the science behind what "Metal 2" means?

Is this currently hurting the laptop?

Nov 21, 2017 12:23 AM in response to RoastedTaco

After a High Siera 10.13.1 upgrade on my MBP Retina 13.3" Early 2015, this display glitch/flicker occurs with increasing intensity.

I understand many are having difficulties capturing on still or video imaging due to the rapid onset, and dissipation of this mysterious "green-blue-pink(for some)" lighting flashes.

Problem #1 (slightly off-topic)

Was online with Apple Support for advice on the "staingate" issue with retina macbook pro screens, as the blotches was rapidly spreading by the weeks, and months. (the coating stripped off the screen overtime, causing unsightly, and optical discomfort).

It was when my screen went into sleep mode, and as the notification from Apple Support kept popping up, that I noticed that these flashes are intensifying.

Video Evidence

I have captured 2 short video clips (duration: 5-7 seconds each) of this phenomenon --- or "retina-gate".

Clip 1: A short nano-burst of "green" flash is observed, concentrated at the lower half of screen. (for about 20 over times now)

(Link: http://www.keyotto.com/image/green-20171121_140400.mp4)

Clip 2: Captured about an hour later, this flash is spreads further out. Bluish glow, with an atomic bomb-like mushroom effect right behind the Sierra wallpaper mountains.

(Link: http://www.keyotto.com/image/blue-20171121_143355.mp4)

Apple Support Advice

He said there is no point resetting the SMC or NVRAM settings, as this problem most likely is the display panel (more likely hardware than software).

So in approximately 24 hours, he has booked me into the nearest Apple Store for a physical inspection, and hopefully a solution will surface for an update here.

From the video clips, you can see how distasteful the peeling of the factory coating has left this young MBP is an undesirable state to even be adopted for free by the next owner-to-be. **shakes head incessantly**

So the saying goes, "they often come in pairs"....and I have a green + blue for show & tell...

Great, oh wasn't it Christina Apple-gate?

No, it was just Retina-gate...

Stand-Up Com: Apple Support Program is currently fixing the video display issues from MBP Retina 15" owners, will the 13.3" MBP Retaina owners be next in line for a repair line-up? Gone are the days when consumers will only queue up to purchase iPhone-MacBook XX, now we are all destined to gather in problematic unities to investigate Applegates ourselves first - before_________________....in a far far away digital galaxy connected by alphanumerics, the sagate continues...

Jan 9, 2018 6:11 PM in response to pudders@ntlworld.com

I have the same model and year MacBook. I am experiencing the same problem, I am glad I found this forum because I thought the green flicker screen when I wake up my Mac was a unique issue. I do agree that this never used to happen until after I updated to High Sierra. Thinking this was a hardware issue, my laptop was sent out for repair through Apple twice, thinking the first time they just replaced with a brand new LCD display but it didn't fix the issue, so sent it out the second time and replaced with a new screen again....and noticed the green distorted flicker still happens once in awhile when abruptly woken up from sleep mode. Reading these discussions, I am happy to be convinced that it has something to do with the compatibility of the High Sierra with older models of Macs. Hopefully the issue gets resolved through updates of software.

Mac Wake Up Screen Glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.