Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto Capitalization in iOS 11

Ever since I upgraded to iOS 11, a lot of non name words that are saved as Contacts are auto capitalised. For e.g. I save a contact called 'John Tennis', simply because he is my tennis buddy. Whenever I happen to type 'tennis' in my text, it gets capitalised to 'Tennis', which is very frustrating. This is just one of the many examples such as:

- AIA Call Centre (Both 'call' and 'centre' get capitalised in my texts)

- Cindy Cleaner ('Cleaner' gets capitalised)

- and many many more.

Is there a way I can stop this without disabling 'Auto Capitalisation' in my settings? It never happened in earlier version of iOS.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.0.1

Posted on Oct 4, 2017 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2017 2:46 AM

My phone was capitalising “Just Home”. I have a contact called “Home Improvements” (a building company) with Hone as first name and Improvements as last name. So iOS was capitalising what it thought I had recorded as a proper name (or given name).

Solution: I set the Company name to Home Improvements and left first and last name blank. Auto-capitalisation of “Home” has now stopped!!

So if you move “Tennis” to be the company name of your John Tennis contact, iOS will stop capitalising “Tennis”.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2017 2:46 AM in response to xaviertee

My phone was capitalising “Just Home”. I have a contact called “Home Improvements” (a building company) with Hone as first name and Improvements as last name. So iOS was capitalising what it thought I had recorded as a proper name (or given name).

Solution: I set the Company name to Home Improvements and left first and last name blank. Auto-capitalisation of “Home” has now stopped!!

So if you move “Tennis” to be the company name of your John Tennis contact, iOS will stop capitalising “Tennis”.

Dec 29, 2017 12:41 PM in response to xaviertee

I just fixed this issue on my phone, based on someone else's comment, but their solution wasn't the ideal answer.

My own name was being auto capitalized when I would type it (example: responding to an email) but apparrently my name was ALL CAPS in Contacts. I edited my own contact info to standard capitalization and ta-da! Problem solved. So look for your friend's name in the contacts and edit how it's capitalized. I don't think you need to move his name to the company field. Good luck!

Jan 14, 2018 12:51 PM in response to dmonkee70

This technique does not work for me. My phone keeps capitalziting “Grave” for me.... look it just happened. I have no contacts with the word Grave at all. I also hate that I will type a word exactly how I want it and when I get 4-6 words past the word, it autocorrects to something out of left field. It always happens with food or good. I also have to fight my auto correct when I want to say “k,” it always corrects to capital I and it takes around 5 times of erasing then retyping until I can get it. Is it time to switch to Android? 😱

Jan 14, 2018 1:28 PM in response to xaviertee

I'm a little late to this party but I honestly don't understand the problem.

The default is initial caps, which is a logical default for the Name field. When you're entering names, you will see the shift key highlighted for the first character in a name field and for the first character after a space. All that is necessary is to tap the shift key to turn it off whenever you wish to over-ride the default.

I created a test contact. The first name is

John tennis

The second name is

baseball

Consequently, the full name is

John tennis baseball

Is that what you're unable to do?

Jan 23, 2018 6:18 AM in response to Sweetmichigan

The word "your" is exactly the word I keep having problems with. I do not have the word "your" in my contacts at all either. But I tried just doing a general iOS search (not contacts search) and one of the results is that Siri has found a sender in my email called "Your Benefits Center." I don't know if that's the issue, but it seems likely. And unfortunately, I have no idea how to tell Siri (or iOS or whatever) to ignore this.

Jan 28, 2018 10:27 AM in response to xaviertee

On iOS 11.2.5 with iPhone 7 Plus. Issue present ever since updating to iOS 11 months ago.

It is capitalizing common words like “Free”. It is not the beginning of a word, but if the phone contacts thing is legit there is a person with the last name free. (Ok this time it did not do it, what gives?). Happens seemingly at random, oddest words like mixer will randomly capitalize and some others.

Very annoying. Plus auto correct occasionally does not try to correct some common words that may have accurately been corrected not long before. That and many times it auto corrects to the wrong word multiple times in the same series of paragraphs. IT DID NOT DO THIS PREVIOUSLY. If this is Apple’s fix for autocorrect, I hate to be out there when they start to tackle autonomous driving and other items that can be life or death... C’mon Apple, step up and get this stuff right. You are leaders in this business, right?

Feb 8, 2018 10:32 AM in response to xaviertee

have this issue too. And have for months. It's so annoying and - hard to believe - time consuming/pain in the *** to correct. Happens to me about once a sentence/text. It's the silliest words and they have no reason to be capitalized. For instance this last passage would likely read something like:

Happens To me about Once a sentence/text. It's the silliest words and they have no Reason to be capitalized.

Autocorrect coding on the iPhone has taken a nose dive. Did someone else come on board? Strange mistakes, obvious misses, etc going on since 11.0.

Feb 14, 2018 6:40 AM in response to xaviertee

Yes I have this issue too. The symptom is that as I am typing, a random word, like “your” is capitalized for no reason. It autocorrects incorrectly.

I am going to Your house.

When I backspace to correct to a lower case, it repeatedly corrects incorrectly to a capital Y.

I thought perhaps the Apple dictionary or the Oxford dictionary was corrupted.

I have also been waiting for a fix. I figure since this wasn’t happening before ios11 that Apple would know what they did that caused this issue to start and change it back for us at the next update. Still waiting.

Auto Capitalization in iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.