Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: "spi is trying to modify the system network configuration".

This box keeps appearing with the text "spi is trying to modify the system network configuration". What is spi and what is it trying to modify? Should I enter my password and allow it?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 18, 2017 1:01 AM in response to bvizioli In response to bvizioli

I was experiencing this issue too, and I believe spi is a residue of Mackeeper app that I uninstalled. This Mackeeper has suddenly coming from no where might be from app that my girlfriend installs. What I did to resolve this is just by uninstalling the spi from application list in the finder. Hope this would helps. And the prompt is gone, so do the pop-ups in the browser whenever I open up a new tab.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies
Question marked as Helpful

Oct 18, 2017 1:01 AM in response to bvizioli In response to bvizioli

I was experiencing this issue too, and I believe spi is a residue of Mackeeper app that I uninstalled. This Mackeeper has suddenly coming from no where might be from app that my girlfriend installs. What I did to resolve this is just by uninstalling the spi from application list in the finder. Hope this would helps. And the prompt is gone, so do the pop-ups in the browser whenever I open up a new tab.

Oct 18, 2017 1:01 AM

Reply Helpful (6)

Jan 4, 2018 5:09 PM in response to bvizioli In response to bvizioli

I just recently had this notice start coming up as well. It started after I installed Toast Titanium, and is also affiliated with being an artifact of other software installations. I only allow software that I am sure I installed to make changes, and simply deleted the app which fixed the problem

Jan 4, 2018 5:09 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 9, 2018 10:28 AM in response to MarkBraun In response to MarkBraun

I wouldn't allow that to run either, since most Mac software does not use an uninstaller. Is the 'uninstaller' in your apps directory? Do you know what software package initiated this? Try looking for uninstaller by going to preferences->Users&Groups->Login Items and revoke its permission to run, although It would be better to find the source of the problem and just get rid of the package itself.

Jan 9, 2018 10:28 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jan 9, 2018 10:33 AM in response to okcomputr In response to okcomputr

I found the culprit and did delete it, then "uninstaller" was trying to launch. Found THAT in the Library, stopped it from loading inUSERS AND GROUPS, deleted it and on reboot, all's fine. BUT it also gave me the chance to examine the storage and I deleted 8 gigs of junk files! All's good!

Thanks for the help!

Jan 9, 2018 10:33 AM

Reply Helpful

Jan 9, 2018 11:50 AM in response to Michael Battenfield In response to Michael Battenfield

1: Find SPI and dump it. After I did, "uninstaller" started up. Found it in the Library/SPI/blahblahblah
Dumped THOSE two files, reboot, clean.

I did all this at work; lady at the front desk made a crack about why nobody else (old PCs) had a problem; I replied that it must've been them Russian **** sites yesterday.

Jan 9, 2018 11:50 AM

Reply Helpful (3)

Jan 14, 2018 8:54 AM in response to dwilll112 In response to dwilll112

I was thinking that SPI stands for "Serial Peripheral Interface". It's a fairly slow speed interface that's used for all sorts of things, although I'm not sure what on a Mac. Memory modules use something similar called the I2C interface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Peripheral_Interface_Bus

You can take a look in System Report, and it will have it under Hardware>SPI. The message I get when I click on it is "This computer doesn't contain any SPI devices."

Jan 14, 2018 8:54 AM

Reply Helpful

Mar 28, 2018 7:43 PM in response to Michael Battenfield In response to Michael Battenfield

Hey! I'm getting this same message (crash report of uninstaller / illegal operation) now that I've deleted SPI. Wondering if you were able to find a fix? I'm updating to High Sierra right now. Hoping that'll resolve it. Figure I'd check in with you just in case! 🙂

Mar 28, 2018 7:43 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: bvizioli

Question: "spi is trying to modify the system network configuration".